So how is everyone’s January going? I hope you are all managing to stay warm against the cold. Scotland is bitterly cold at the moment. But we are getting along as always. And helping me personally are these super delicious Low Fat Blueberry Muffins. Packed full of fruit, low in calories and so tasty. What more could you want in a muffin?
Some years ago I started the Weight Watchers plan when I needed to kickstart a healthier lifestyle. I had just left the sea and I was eating terribly. Its a great plan for anyone wanting to help get them into a better place and making better choices.
One recipe of theirs that I return to all the time, are these low-fat blueberry muffins. I have made a few tiny alterations over the years but the basic recipe is theirs. These are great little muffins for breakfast or even as a tasty sweet snack. Without any guilt.
As previously mentioned these muffins are low in fat and low in calories, double win. Each muffin is only 144 calories. So technically you could have 2 for breakfast with very little guilt.
This recipe will give you 8 perfectly sized muffins. Which is perfect if you are trying to keep temptation at bay. Enough for just a few days if you’re sharing…. hey no judgements here.
The secret to keeping these so low in calories is the low amount of sugar and the low-fat butter used in the recipe. The whole recipe only has 30 grams of sugar in it. That is less than 1 teaspoon per muffin.
Also, they are jam-packed with sweet juicy berries. Each and every bite is packed full of so many berries. In fact, I think the batter to berry ratio is pretty equal here. Which for me is another bonus, as I adore berries so much.
Low Fat Blueberry Muffins
- 150 grams plain/all purpose flour (1 and 1/8 cup)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 50 grams low-fat butter – melted (1/4 cup)
- 1 large egg
- 100 millilitres non-fat milk (6 and 1/2 tablespoons)
- 30 grams sugar (2 and 1/2 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 lemon – zest of whole and juice of half of it
- 200 grams blueberries
- 1 tablespoon demerara/turbinado sugar
- Preheat your oven to 200C/400F/Gas mark 6 and line a muffin tin with 8 liners or lightly grease the pan.
- In a large mixing bowl gently whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a microwavable jug or bowl melt the butter for around 30 seconds on a medium setting. Allow the butter to slightly cool if it feels too warm. You don’t want your egg to scramble.
- Add in the egg, milk, sugar, vanilla and lemon juice and whisk everything together.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and gently fold everything together.
- Fold in the blueberries and lemon zest. Then divide the batter between the muffin liners and sprinkle the demerara sugar over the tops of the muffins.
- Pop the muffin pan in the oven and bake for 25 minutes. Once the muffins are baked through take them out of the oven and allow them to sit in the pan for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to fully cool down.
- These muffins will last 4 to 5 days in an airtight container. And can be frozen up to 3 months.
- These muffins can easily be made vegan if you replace the egg with your favourite Vegan egg replacer. Use plant based milk and vegan low-fat spread.
- To make them gluten-free, replace the flour with a plain glute-free flour mix.