I was going through some of my old cringe worthy posts the other day. I realised while they are super awful to look at the recipes are good. One in particular that I love and make often is a very simple but extremely tasty banana cake. The original recipe was my Nan’s and while she always served it with lemon icing, as the original post shows. I decided this time to adorn it with an easy lemon frosting. I know it sounds strange but lemon and banana go so well together. So lets take a closer look at this reposted Grandmas Old Fashioned Simple Banana Cake recipe version 02.
Reboot V – 02
The original recipe and post can be found here, under My Nan’s Banana Cake. I took the photo’s at night on my old iPhone 3…… Ahhhhh lol I know, but hey we all had to start somewhere 😉 Not that the photography has become fantastic and amazing but I think its definitely improved somewhat.
Quick & Easy.
As the title suggests this is a simple cake to put together. There are no strange ingredients in this cake just pantry staples. First off butter and sugar are creamed together. Eggs & vanilla are added along with flour, baking powder a pinch of salt and of course mashed banana. These ingredients give you a tender, sweet cake packed full of banana flavour.
As it stands the cake is a great snack cake, perfect for lunch boxes and an afternoon pick-me-up. Add the frosting to take it to the next level.
Yep you read that right, lemon and banana work so well together, the tart lemon cuts right through the sweetness of the banana. My Nan always topped this cake with a very basic lemon icing and I love it that way but I was in the mood for something a little more when I remade this cake. So I made a super simple lemon frosting of butter, icing sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice to top this version of my Grandmas old fashioned simple banana cake.
Because this cake is so quick to make, it really is a family favourite for us. Well me really, because I am completely bananas over bananas………. I have more banana recipes on this blog then anything else. Hey its a fruit so it must make all these cakes healthy 😀 right?
Grandmas Old Fashioned Simple Banana Cake
- 125 grams unsalted butter (1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon)
- 250 grams sugar (1 and 1/4 cups)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 250 grams plain / all purpose flour (2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 ripe medium sized bananas - mashed
- 100 grams unsalted butter (1/2 cup)
- 250 grams icing sugar (2 cups)
- Zest 1 lemon
- Juice 1 lemon
- Preheat your oven to 180C / 350F / Gas mark 4 and lightly grease & line a 9x9 inch square tin and place to one side.
- Beat the butter till it is light and fluffy then add in the sugar and beat for a few more minutes until it is well incorporated.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla and again mix until well incorporated.
- Pour in half of the flour, the baking powder and salt and mix.
- Add in the mashed banana and mix until just combined.
- Pour in the remaining flour and beat until everything is mixed together.
- Scoop the batter into your prepared tin and place in your hot oven for 40-45 minutes.
- Test the cake for doneness by inserting a pick into the centre of the cake, if it comes out clean then the cake is baked. If not then bake for a few minutes longer and test again.
- If you feel your cake is browning too much then cover with a bit of tin foil and continue to bake until the cake is fully baked.
- Take it out of the oven and allow it to cool for 15 minutes in its tin before transferring it to a wire rack to fully cool down.
- Once the cake is fully cooled down its time to make the frosting.
- Beat the butter until it is very pale. Add in the icing sugar and beat until everything is soft, pale and fluffy.
- Zest your lemon into the frosting and then juice it. Mix this into the frosting and spread it evenly over your cake.
- Kept in an airtight container at room temperature this cake will last 5 days.
- Unfrosted this cake freezes well for 3 months.