These lovely little zesty lemon flapjacks are perfect for the lemon lover in your life. They are bursting with bright lemon flavour and packed full of tasty chewy oats. Perfect afternoon treats to go with your afternoon cuppa.
We have a double hit of lemon in these zesty lemon flapjacks. The zest of one large lemon and a generous helping of lemon curd. Depending on the lemon curd you use will depend on its sharpness or even its richness. As every brand has its own unique flavour. I have made these with both a supermarket own brand and a fancy pants expensive brand. And both were delicious.
These flapjacks also taste great if you don’t have a lemon on hand and need to forego the lemon zest. The lemon flavour is not as fresh but it still packs a punch from the lemon curd
I have mentioned on this site before the differences in American and British sayings. And this is another saying that has a difference. In the UK we call these kinds of bars flapjacks while in America the closest thing is granola bars or oat bars. From what I understand flapjacks in America are more along the lines of pancakes. But regardless of name, trust me when I say these zesty lemon flapjacks are super tasty.
Because I am a Brit, I will continue to call them flapjacks. Old habits die hard and I have been calling them flapjacks from childhood. I believe one major difference between flapjacks and granola bars is the addition of golden syrup. This is a British institution and I have used it many times already in recipes on this site. It’s a thick sweet gloopy sugar liquid that is golden in colour. If you are finding it hard to come by then honey can be used in its place as can light corn syrup. But it will alter the flavour profile, especially light corn syrup as it is not as sweet or flavourful as golden syrup.
Recipe is based on a BBC Food recipe which can be found here.
Zesty Lemon Flapjacks
- 250 grams unsalted butter – melted (1 and 1/4 cups)
- 250 grams light brown sugar (1 and 1/4 cups lightly packed)
- 175 grams golden syrup (1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon)
- 1 large lemon – zest only
- 425 grams oats (5 and 1/4 cups)
- 150 grams lemon curd (1/2 cup)
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C/350F/gas 4 and line a 20 x 20 cm (8 x 8 inch) tin with baking parchment.
- In a medium pan, melt the butter, sugar along with the golden syrup until lightly bubbling and everything is melted.
- Add in the lemon zest and oats and stir until everything is well coated.
- Press ¾ of the mixture into your tin and press down on it, make sure you press it into each corner.
- Evenly spread the lemon curd over the flapjack then sprinkle over the remaining flapjack mix.
- Bake for 30 minutes then take it out of the oven and leave to cool, once cold cut into 12 slices. Best eaten within 5 days.