Easy Peasy Gingerbread Muffins
Easy Peasy Delicious Gingerbread Muffins are a perfect festive breakfast. Fast and easy to put together and perfect for Christmas morning.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 12 muffins
- 300 grams plain/all-purpose flour 2 and 1/2 cups
- 1 teaspoon baking powder and baking soda
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves and allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg and salt
- 80 millilitres buttermilk 1/3 cup
- 200 grams light brown sugar 1 cup - lightly packed
- 80 millilitres vegetable oil 1/3 cup
- 2 large eggs
- 80 millilitres molasses/black treacle 1/3 cup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat your oven to 220C / 425F / Gas mark 7 and lightly grease a 12 hole muffin pan or use liners.
In a medium sized bowl add in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, all the spices and salt and give them a little whisk together.
Pour in the buttermilk, sugar, oil, eggs, molasses and vanilla extract. Give everything a gentle mix together.
Please be gentle so your muffins remain light and fluffy. Over mixing the batter at this point will give you tough hard muffins.
Scoop the batter into your muffin pan filling each hole about 2/3rds full. You should have enough batter to fill the 12 holes.
If using sprinkle the tops of your muffins with a little coarse sugar.
Pop the pan into your hot oven. After 5 minutes reduce the heat in your oven to 190C / 375F / Gas mark 5 and bake for a further 15 minutes. The initial burst of heat will give them the high domes and the lower heat will bake them through without burning.
Check your muffins after the remaining 13 minutes to see if they are baked through, insert a skewer and if it comes out clean then they are baked through. If not give them another minute and check again.
Carefully remove the hot muffins from the pan to a wire rack to fully cool down then enjoy.
Kept in an airtight tin these muffins will last for 5 days but like a lot of baked goods they are best consumed on the day of baking.
These muffins will also freeze for 2 months.
- I sprinkled each muffin with a pinch of demerara (raw) sugar.
Serving: 1muffin (out of 12) | Calories: 253kcal | Carbohydrates: 43.4g | Protein: 3.9g | Fat: 7.3g | Saturated Fat: 0.8g | Cholesterol: 31mg | Sodium: 229mg | Fiber: 0.9g | Sugar: 21.8g