Baked chocolate doughnuts with salted caramel glaze
A surprisingly low fat doughnut with an indulgent salted caramel glaze.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time20 mins
Servings: 6 regular 12-14 mini
- 70 grams self-rising flour (1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon)
- 25 grams good quality cocoa powder (scant 1/3 cup)
- 60 grams granulated sugar (scant 1/3 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking powder
- 50 grams natural yogurt (2 and 1/2 tablespoons)
- 20 millilitres milk (1 and 1/2 tablespoons)
- 1/4 teaspoons vanilla bean paste - vanilla extract will work here as well
- 10 grams butter - melted & cooled (2 teaspoons)
- 1 medium Egg
- 1 tablespoon good quality sea salt - for sprinkling
Pre heat your oven to 170C / 325F / Gas mark 3 and prep your doughnut tin by lightly greasing it.
Combine the flour, cocoa, sugar and baking powder in a medium sized bowl; give it a good mix so it’s well combined.
Melt the butter in a small bowl in the microwave; it shouldn’t need more than 15 seconds, once melted put aside to cool slightly.
In another medium sized bowl mix the yogurt, milk, vanilla paste or extract, melted butter and egg together until well combined.
Add the wet to the dry and mix until just combined. Don’t over mix otherwise the gluten in the flour will become overworked and this will give you a tougher dough.
Pipe or spoon the mixture into you pre-prepared pan. I just spooned it in but a piping bag will make it a little easier.
Pop them in your oven on a middle shelf, for 12-15 minutes, check after 12 minutes to see if they are ready. Give one a gentle poke if it bounces back its ready to come out.
Leave them in their trays to cool for about 15 minutes.
Gently remove them from the tin and allow them to fully cool on your cooling rack.
Once cool cover them with your salted caramel sauce and sprinkle a little extra sea salt on them, then serve.