Hedge Combers Carrot Cake
A sweet moist carrot cake with a lovely fresh lemon frosting.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time1 hr
Servings: 9 -12 squares
Ingredients for the cake
- 175 grams light brown sugar (7/8 cup)
- 170 millilitres vegetable oil (2/3 cup and 1 tablespoon)
- 3 large eggs
- 225 grams grated carrot (1 and 1/3 cup)
- 100 grams chopped dates (a generous 1/2 cup)
- 85 grams chopped hazelnuts (3/4 cup)
- 1 large unwaxed orange - zest only
- 75 grams sultanas (1/2 cup)
- 175 grams Plain flour All Purpose, (1 and 1/2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Ingredients for the frosting
- 85 grams unsalted butter - soft (3/8 cup)
- 175 grams Icing sugar Confectioners sugar, (1 and 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 unwaxed lemon zest & juice
Directions for the cake
Preheat your oven to 180C / 350F/ Gas mark 4. Grease or line a 7inch x 7inch square tin.
Whisk the sugar, oil and eggs together in a large bowl.
Add the grated carrot, dates, sultanas and chopped hazelnuts and orange zest mix well.
Sieve the flour, baking soda, and ground cinnamon in and mix well, once fully combined transfer to your baking tin.
Pop in your preheated oven for 40 – 45 minutes or until baked and a skewer come out clean from the middle.
Leave to cool in its tin for 10 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to fully cool.
Directions for the frosting
Beat the butter till it is light and fluffy. Add the icing sugar in slowly and mix.
Add in the zest and juice from the 1/2 of lemon and stir in until you have a light fluffy buttercream.
Spread generously over the cake.
Cut up into squares and serve.