Homemade Sweet Mincemeat
A homemade vegetarian festive favourite, packed full of fruit and festive flavour.
Prep Time3 hrs
Total Time3 hrs
Servings: 910 grams / 3 and 1/2 cups
- 115 grams vegetarian suet (3/4 cup)
- 115 grams sultanas (2/3 cup)
- 115 grams currants (2/3 cup)
- 115 grams raisins (3/4 cup)
- 30 grams chopped candied ginger (1/8 cup)
- 90 grams light brown sugar (1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 2 medium brambly cooking apples
- 2 medium oranges - zest & juice
- 2 medium lemons - zest & juice
- 6 tablespoons brandy
In a large bowl add the suet, sultanas, currants, and raisins, candied ginger, light brown sugar, mixed spice and mix it up.
Peel and core your apples, and dice them up into small chunks.
Zest and juice the oranges and lemons and add to the bowl.
Cover with a tea towel and leave overnight.
The following morning heat your oven to 110C / 225F / Gas mark 1/2.
Cover your bowl loosely with tin foil and put it into the oven for 3 hours.
Take it out of the oven and allow it to cool, stirring it occasionally making sure everything t getting coated with the melted suet.
When it is cold add the brandy and mix thoroughly.
Put your mincemeat into sterilised jars and seal.
This will keep unopened for a year. Once open, keep in the fridge and use within 3 weeks.