Prepping Fruit For My Christmas Cake
Get the jump on your Christmas cake by soaking your fruit early so when it comes to baking your fruit will be plump and matured.
Prep Time15 mins
Total Time15 mins
- 225 grams sultana's (1 and 1/2 cups)
- 225 grams Raisins (1 and 1/2 cups)
- 225 grams currants (1 and 1/2 cups)
- 60 grams Glace Cherries (11 to 12 cherries)
- 60 grams Mixed citrus peel (1/3 cup lightly packed)
- 60 grams mixed chopped nuts (1/2 cup)
- 240 millilitres brandy (1 cup)
Weigh out all your ingredients except the cherries and place them all in a large mixing bowl. With your cherries chop them up into little pieces and add them to the bowl of fruit.
Give everything a good stir to mix it up. Pour over the brandy and stir. Cover with cling film (plastic wrap) and after 30 minutes give it another stir and recover for another 30 minutes.
Clean and serialise enough jars to hold your fruit. I needed to use 2 medium sized jars.
If using 2 jars equally divide the fruit between the jars including the brandy from the bottom of the bowl. If only using 1 large jar pour everything in and seal. Store in a dark cool place.
Remember once a week to go back and turn the jar upside down / back up the right way to allow the brandy to soak all the fruit. Keep doing this until you are ready to make your Christmas cake!