Slow Cooker Spicy Nutella Hot Chocolate
A rich thick and creamy hot chocolate packed full of Nutella for that lovely chocolaty hazelnut taste and all spiced up with a combination of warming spices.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time2 hrs 30 mins
Total Time2 hrs 45 mins
Servings: 6 medium sized cups
- 50 grams Cocoa powder (1/2 cup)
- 140 grams Nutella (1/2 cup)
- 110 grams granulated sugar (1/2 cup)
- 240 millilitres hot water (1 cup)
- 960 millilitres milk (4 cups)
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves (optional)
- A pinch ground mace (optional)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (optional)
- 1 individual star anise (optional)
Add everything to a large pan except the milk & spices if using and gently heat until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture has come to a gentle boil.
Transfer the liquid to your slow cooker and add in the milk and spices, give everything a good stir pop the lid on and if using high heat leave for 2 to 2 and 1/2 hours if using a low heat leave for 4 to 4 and 1/2 hours.
If you want to keep it warm turn your slow cooker to warm and leave until you want to use it. If you still have some left over just reheat it by also turning your slow cooker to warm.
If you are using the trimmings, serve up your hot chocolate in mugs and top with marshmallows and whipped cream.
This drink is best drunk on the day of making but will keep up to 3 days if kept in the fridge.