candy cane chocolate cupcakes with peppermint frosting
A rich moist chocolate cake, topped with a smooth creamy peppermint frosting and sprinkled with crushed candy canes for a festive twist.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 12 -14 cupcakes
For The Cupcakes
- 80 grams good quality cocoa powder (3/4 cup)
- 110 grams plain flour all purpose, (3/4 cup)
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 170 grams unsalted butter - at room temperature (1 and 1/2 sticks)
- 230 grams granulated sugar (1 cup)
- 3 large eggs - at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 120 millilitres sour cream (1/2 cup)
For The Frosting
- 225 grams unsalted butter - at room temperature (2 sticks)
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 520 grams Icing sugar Confectioners sugar - sieved, (4 cups)
- 3 tablespoons double / heavy cream
- 3 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 4 to 5 candy canes broken up into small pieces
For the cupcakes
Pre heat your oven to 180C / 350F / Gas mark 4 and line a 12 hole cupcake / muffin pan with liners.
Sieve the cocoa, flour, baking powder and salt together in a medium sized bowl then place to one side.
Cream the butter until it is light and fluffy. Then add the sugar and beat until it is well incorporated together.
Add the eggs one at a time beating in-between each addition until they are well mixed in.
Add in the peppermint extract and mix.
Add in half the flour mix and very gently mix your batter.
Then add in your sour cream, again mix very gently then add in the remaining flour mix. And gently mix until everything is well mixed together.
Scoop the batter into your prepared muffin pan. I like to use an ice cream scoop to keep all my cakes an even size.
Bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes. Check them at the 20 minute stage. You are looking for them to be firm to the touch and a sewer to come out clean after its inserted.
Take your cupcakes out of the oven and leave them in your muffin pan for 5 minutes then take them out and allow them to fully cool down on a wire rack.
For the frosting
Beat your butter until it is very pale in colour, this can take anything up to 5 minutes in a stand mixer on a medium speed.
Add in the salt and mix for another minute.
Add in half of the icing sugar and mix until well combined.
Add in the double cream and peppermint extract and mix in till well combined.
Add in the remaining icing sugar and beat well until you have a smooth, pale creamy frosting.
Pipe a generous swirl of frosting on to each cupcake.
Pop your candy canes in a plastic food bag and bash them with a rolling pin until they are all in small bits. Then sprinkle the bits all over the cupcakes.
Kept in an airtight tin in cool conditions these cupcakes will keep for up to 5 days.