Slow Cooker Vegetarian Spicy Three Bean Stew
A warming comforting Slow Cooker Vegetarian Spicy Three Bean Stew. Packed full of healthy nutritious beans and vegetables in a spicy tomato sauce.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time5 hrs 30 mins
Total Time5 hrs 45 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small white onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree / paste
- 380 grams chopped tinned tomatoes 1 and 1/2 cups
- 1 small orange bell pepper chopped up small
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried chillies
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 400 grams kidney beans 1 and 1/4 cups
- 300 grams pinto beans 1 cup
- 300 grams black eye beans 1 cup
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sour cream to top optional
- Fresh coriander to garnish optional
I find this dish easier to put together by first peeping all my ingredients and having them on hand and ready to go.
In a medium sized pan over a medium heat, heat the oil and lightly fry the onions for a few minutes until they start to soften.
Add in the garlic and tomato puree and stir it all together.
Add in the chopped tinned tomatoes, red wine vinegar and spices and gently heat for a few minutes.
Pour this mix into your slow cooker and add in the rinsed and drained beans and salt and pepper to taste. I only added in 1/2 a teaspoon of each.
Mix everything together so all the beans and tomato sauce is well combined.
Turn your slow cooker to high and cook for 5 and 1/2 hours.
Give it all a good stir before serving.
Kept covered once cooled pop any leftovers into the fridge and this dish will last for 3 days.
Though I haven't tried it I should imagine this dish will freeze.