Quick and Easy Carrot and Coriander Soup
Quick and Easy Carrot and Coriander Soup is a fulfilling lunch or great as a light supper. Packed full of vegetables and flavour this is a great soup for all occasions.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time35 mins
Total Time50 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium sized onion - finely chopped
- A medium celery stick - finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic - crushed
- 450 grams carrots - peeled and chopped 16 ounces / approx 3 cups once chopped
- 1 litre gluten free vegan vegetable stock 4 and 1/4 cups
- 10 large fresh coriander / cilantro stalks - leaves taken off the stalks
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed chilli flakes - more if desired
- A large handful fresh baby spinach leaves - optional
- Salt and Peper to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil for a drizzle - optional
In a large heavy bottomed saucepan gently heat the olive oil and add in the onion and celery and very gently fry until the onion becomes soft and translucent. Around 5 minutes should do it, keep the heat low and stir occasionally.
Then add in the garlic and fry for another minute.
Next add in the carrots, vegetable stock, fresh coriander stalks and the dried chillies if you are using them. Turn up the heat and bring everything to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
Pour the soup into a liquidiser, food processor or using an electrical hand blender blend the soup until smooth. Or mash like mad if you are doing it by hand.
Return the soup to the pan add in the spinach if using and season well with the salt and pepper. Stir everything together and serve.
Drizzle a little extra virgin olive oil over the top of the soup if you like and garnish with a few of the fresh coriander leaves.
This soup will keep in the fridge for 2 days. If you wish to freeze this soup I would advise not to add the spinach until after you have defrosted the soup. It will keep in the freezer for 3 months.