I don’t know about you but I got quite a bit of chocolate for Easter and while I enjoy eating chocolate (who doesn’t?) I don’t like to eat too much of it just as it is, especially when there are so many wonderful things you can do with it.
Like melt it down and cover some lovely fresh popcorn with it 🙂 chuck a little dried fruit in with it and you can almost kid yourself it’s a health food! Only kidding…. kinda 😀
This snack is so quick and easy to make and so very satisfying. You just need to pop your corn, melt your chocolate – I used white chocolate as it’s a favourite of mine and I had loads of it left from Easter – cover your popcorn allow it to set for a while and then mix it up with some dried cranberries. I think the dried cranberries add a lovely soft texture to this decedent snack. They are completely optional but I highly recommend adding them, you could add any dried fruit you like, blueberries, cherries I should imagine almost anything would work here.
No Special Equipment Needed
No fancy equipment is needed to make this white chocolate and cranberry popcorn. I popped my corn in a medium sized pan with a small drop of oil, if you have an air popper, great but there is no need to rush out and buy one. I melted my chocolate in a bowl placed on top of a small pan with a little boiling water in it to act as a double boiler. I covered my popcorn with the chocolate when it was spread out on a baking sheet that had been covered in parchment paper, then left it to set. Added the fruit and popped it in an airtight jar to keep fresh.
I would eat this within a day or two of making it, it’s definitely going to taste fresher and have more of a crispy bite to the corn. Any longer and I feel your popcorn will start to go soft, but in the past when I have made this, I have found it is perfectly edible up to five days later. But who can last that long?
The Perfect Movie Snack
So next time you are curling up to watch a movie why not whip some of this up before hand and then you will have the best of both worlds chocolate and popcorn all in one great snack!
White Chocolate and Cranberry Popcorn
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 60 grams popcorn kernels ((1/3 cup))
- 120 grams white chocolate ((3/4 cup if using chips))
- 50 grams dried cranberries ((1/3 cup))
- Get a large baking sheet cover it with baking parchment and place to one side.
- Heat your oil in a medium sized pan until it is sizzling, add your popcorn kernels and cover your pan with a lid. Shake the pan lightly over the heat until the popping has almost come to a stop. A few seconds between each pop.
- Take the pan off the heat and tip your popcorn onto your large baking sheet that has been covered with baking parchment and allow it to cool.
- Take your white chocolate and if using a bar break it up into small pieces and place it in a bowl, if using chips place them in a bowl and melt. Either in the microwave on a medium power for 10 seconds at a time, or over a small pan of boiling water or in a double boiler.
- Pour the melted chocolate over the popcorn and mix it until all of the popped corn is fully coated. Spread the corn out to a single layer and allow the chocolate to cool back down and harden again. About 30 minutes should do it, or hasten it along by popping it in the fridge.
- Once the chocolate is set sprinkle the cranberries in with the corn, give it another quick mix then enjoy. You can store this in an airtight container for up to 5 days. But is best enjoyed fresh.