This Warm Balsamic Honey Roasted Vegetable Salad is the perfect healthy treat for those who like a touch of sweetness to their dishes. Crunchy, savoury and healthy this salad makes a great main dish for one or a perfect side for two.
Been a while!
So I am pretty sure most of you have worked out I have been pretty absent from here in recent months. I have previously mentioned that I am back at college and working full time. On top of that, over the last few months, I have been planning my wedding to Michael. Michael and I have been together for 11 years and it was time to make it official. We decided to run away to Gibraltar. Both of us served there multiple times while in the Merchant Navy. It was a very private ceremony with just the two of us, and it was a perfect day.
Back to the food!
So enough about me and my super busy life and let’s get back to this Warm Balsamic Honey Roasted Vegetable Salad. On a bed of mixed lettuce and diced cucumber sits balsamic honey roasted baby carrots, sweet red onion, purple sprouting broccoli and golden beetroot. Served right up alongside it are a bunch of cherry tomatoes and avocado.
The amounts I have used are perfect for a hearty main meal for one or as a side dish for two. I have kept this dish vegetarian, but the hubby said it would be nice with a grilled chicken fillet on top. I think it was just perfect as it was. This dish can easily become vegan just switch the honey for maple syrup. The glaze won’t be as sticky but it will be as sweet.
There is a little prep time needed for this salad. The veggies are covered in a really simple glaze made of olive oil, balsamic vinegar and honey. Then they are roasted in a hot oven for 30-40 minutes until tender. I then allowed them to cool for just a few minutes before serving them up on the bed of lettuce, spooning the remaining glaze in the bottom of the roasting dish all over the rest of the salad. Hey why let a good thing go to waste?
I included cucumber for crunch, cherry tomatoes for sweetness and avocado for richness and a touch of creaminess. I found this combination of veggies just perfect together. This Warm Balsamic Honey Roasted Vegetable Salad will also make a great lunchbox treat for work or school. As the veggies are actually really nice cold as well.
A perfect dish to welcome in the warmer weather, but still warm enough to keep the evening Scottish chill at bay!
Just a quick note, I am pretty loose and easy when it comes to making a salad. I tend to eyeball most of the ingredients add a little extra of what I fancy and a little less of what I don’t. But I have tried my best to give you an accurate recipe to recreate this lovely Warm Balsamic Honey Roasted Vegetable Salad.
- 3 baby carrots
- 1 golden beetroot - cut into 8 wedges
- 1 large red onion - quartered
- 4 tender stems purple sprouting broccoli
- 2 tablespoons each of:
- olive oil
- clear honey
- balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt and black pepper
- 2 large handfuls of each:
- baby spinach
- shredded iceberg lettuce
- 3 inch slice of cucumber - diced
- 5 cherry tomatoes - halved
- ½ avocado - sliced
- Preheat your oven to 200C / 400F / Gas mark 6 and prep your veg that needs to be roasted.
- In a medium sized roasting tin add in the ingredients for the glaze. The olive oil, clear honey, balsamic vinegar, salt & pepper, and mix them until they are fully combined.
- Toss the chopped veg in the glaze and pop the pan into your hot oven and roast until tender. 30-40 minutes should be sufficient.
- Take the veg out of the oven and place to one side.
- Mix the lettuce in a serving bowl.
- Toss in the cucumber, and place the cherry tomato halves on top of the salad.
- Slice the avocado half and place it on top of the lettuce.
- Place the roasted veg on top of the lettuce and spoon any of the remaining glaze that may be in your roasting pan over your salad.
- Best served immediately, but this salad can be kept in the fridge overnight and enjoyed for lunch the next day once it has fully cooled down.