Floral flavours are still very much in vogue. My Dark Chocolate Dipped Rose Shortbread cookies continue to be one of the most popular recipes on my site. This time though I have switched out the rose and chocolate and added in crystallised violets. These Sweet Floral Crystallised Violet Shortbread cookies are everything floral flavour fans will love, bundled in a sweet buttery shortbread cookie.
The thing with floral flavours is, you are either a fan or you are not. There is rarely an in-between for people. I remember being in this ice cream parlour in France and I had a scoop of rose ice cream, a scoop of jasmine ice cream and a scoop of lavender ice cream. It was so good, but Michael thought I was disgusting and couldn’t understand why I was eating a bunch of flowers. His words, not mine! But each scoop was so sweet and tasty and just utterly amazing. I love floral flavours, as long as they are not sickly and overpowering, which these cookies are not.
They are sweet, buttery and just perfectly crumbly. The perfect afternoon treat for anyone.
All the usual suspects are in these violet shortbread cookies. Butter, unsalted of course, flour and sugar. These three ingredients are the basis of all shortbread recipes. I have added a touch of cornflour (cornstarch) and baking powder to keep them perfectly soft and crumbly. A little vanilla extract for a fuller flavour and a pinch of salt to round it all out.
As you can see I have broken up crystallised sugared violets throughout my cookies. I was really lucky and had some that I had bought in France a few months earlier. But they can easily be bought on Amazon if your local store does not stock them. I hope you too are floral fans and these cookies are right up your street!
Sweet Floral Crystallised Violet Shortbread
- 200 grams unsalted butter (1 cup)
- 105 grams granulated sugar (1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 300 grams plain/all-purpose flour (2 and 1/2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 60 grams crystallised violets (1/2 cup)
- Cream the butter, sugar and vanilla extract together in an electric mixer until very light and fluffy. About 5 minutes should do it, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add in the flour, cornflour, baking powder and salt. Gently mix until the dough just comes together.
- Fold in the crystallised violets.
- Tip the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and bring it together and form it into a log which is about 3 inches (7.5cm) thick. Wrap the dough log in clingfilm/plastic wrap and place it in the fridge for at least an hour. Or up to 3 days.
- Once you are ready to bake your cookies preheat your oven to 180c/350f/Gas mark 3 and line a large baking sheet with baking parchment or a large silicone mat.
- Slice your cookies to about 1 inch (2.5cm) thick and place them on your baking sheet. These cookies will not spread very much.
- Bake them for 18-20 minutes until they are golden brown. Remove them from the oven and transfer them to a wire rack to allow them to fully cool down.
- These cookies will keep for 5 days in an airtight container at room temperature.