Happy New Year everyone 😁 🎉 🎊 and welcome to 2017’s monthly Peanut Butter Bash. Because its January and everyone is thinking about health and trying to make good choices when it comes to food, we decided to make our peanut butter treat with oats this month. And to fully get into the swing of a healthy start for 2017 these Vegan Refined Sugar Free Peanut Butter Oat Thins are on the healthy side. If you fancy joining in on the fun then check out the bottom of the post for details.
A Little Bit Healthy For January
We are all trying to make up for that extra helping or that extra slice of pie we had over the holidays. And these vegan refined sugar free peanut butter oat thins are a great way to help make it up. They, as the title suggests are refined sugar free. I used light agave syrup as the sweeter but maple syrup works just as well. I use wholemeal / whole wheat flour for a little fibre boost and unsweetened almond milk to keep them vegan.
The peanut butter is also full of good naturally occurring fats. All in all these thins are tasty, naturally sweet perfect little peanut butter oat treats.
I have used a combination of vegan dark chocolate chips and golden sultanas, its really just what I had kicking around in my cupboards, but feel free to switch the inclusions up. Though I would recommend keeping some kind of sultanas in as they help add a little natural sweetness. But sunflower seeds, any kind of nuts, any kind of dried fruit – cherries, strawberries, blueberries, apricots will all work well in these vegan refined sugar free peanut butter oat thins.
Easy To Make
These really are simple to make, all mixed in one bowl using just one spoon! Thats it. That is all you will need to get these onto a plate near you. The amount of batter is purposely quite small so these slices do remain on the thin side. I find they bake much better and far more even that way. But they are also nicer like that too. These thins are a cross between a flapjack and a cake slice so making them too thick would make them harder to bake off in a reasonable amount of time. They are soft and fluffy like cake but chewy and oaty like a flapjack. You’ll just need to try them to understand what I mean!
Tasty, pretty healthy, no refined sugars, naturally occurring fats all served up in a tasty peanut buttery oaty treat. What more could you ask for in January?
Vegan Refined Sugar Free Peanut Butter Oat Thins
- 60 millilitres light agave syrup or maple syrup (1/4 cup)
- 125 grams smooth or crunchy peanut butter (1/2 cup)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 60 grams wholemeal / whole wheat flour (1/2 cup)
- 100 grams rolled oats (100 grams)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 60 millilitres unsweetened almond milk (1/4 cup)
- 50 grams vegan dark chocolate chips (1/4 cup)
- 40 grams golden sultanas (1/4 cup)
- Preheat your oven to 180C / 350F / Gas mark 4 and line an 8x8 inch square tin with baking parchment and place to one side.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl pour in the agave syrup or maple syrup, add in the peanut butter and vanilla extract and give it all a stir until it it is well combined.
- Add in the flour, oats, baking powder and milk and mix until you have a thick sticky batter.
- Gently stir in the chocolate chips and sultanas and pour the mixture into your prepared tin and flatten it out evenly across your pan. Using the back of a metal spoon if you are finding it sticking to the wooden spoon too much.
- Pop you pan in the oven for 25 minutes.
- After that time check on your bake, it should have a lovely golden colour to it and the edges should be just starting to pull away. If its still a little pale give it a few more minutes to set.
- Take it out of the oven but allow it to fully cool in the tin.
- Once at room temperature cut the slab into 12 squares.
- These store ok at room temperature for 3 days but will last a week in the fridge.
Join In The Fun.
Do you want to join in the peanut butter bash fun? If you do, then leave a comment below saying you wish to join and we will get back to you. The deal is the first Thursday of each month we post a dish with peanut butter and one different ingredient to see what we can come up with. There is a Facebook group if you want to join in the fun but don’t have your own blog. The Peanut Butter Recipe Box. Here are the other peanut butter and oat dishes for you to enjoy along with my vegan refined sugar free peanut butter oat thins.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars from Cookie Dough and Oven Mitt
Skinny Double Chocolate Brownies from Kleinworth & Co.
Peanut Butter Overnight Oats from The Queen of Delicious