As this week is my Birthday week I am having a totally self indulgent week, I don’t have to work this week so I can stay in my PJ’s as long as I like and do all the things I like to do 😀 and baking a few of my favourite treats, starting with these lovely triple vanilla baked donuts with rainbow sprinkles.
Vanilla = Boring!
Many people believe the above statement, well not me. When used in the right bake vanilla is a sublime flavour and I admit to it being one of my favourites. You know, its the worlds top selling flavour ice cream! Why? Because vanilla is a great flavour and every now and again I love making it the star of the show.
To make sure the vanilla packed a punch I used it in 3 different ways, firstly I used vanilla sugar in the batter. I refuse to buy vanilla sugar because it costs a fortune I always make my own, if you’re not sure how to then check out an earlier post of mine about it here.
Secondly I used seeds scraped out of a vanilla pod, check out those gorgeous little black flecks, pure vanilla heaven! Whatever you do don’t throw out the used pod for ideas on what to do with it check out this post!
Then I used a good quality vanilla extract to bring it all together in the donut and in the icing. If you are a vanilla fan then you will love these.
Who doesn’t love sprinkles? There was no other reason to use them then the fact it’s my birthday soon and I love a good splash of colour, but it does give these lovely soft donuts a nice little crunchy topping, which is a bonus 😀
Soft and Fluffy
Because these are baked donuts and not fried ones they do have a more cake like texture than the doughy fried ones. But the advantage being these are far more healthier, there is very little sugar in these I have used ingredients likes low fat buttermilk, apple sauce and natural yogurt to keep the fats down and they have no butter in them! But everything combines does keep these baked donuts soft, moist and fluffy.
I just love those vanilla seeds! So am I alone in loving vanilla or are there a bunch of vanilla appreciating people out there? I hope so because vanilla is a great flavour and at times forgotten about for the flashier flavours of today, but I take comfort in the fact vanilla will out last them all after all its a classic 😀
∗NOTE: If you do not have any vanilla sugar and don’t want to buy any (I understand it can be expensive) then substitute it for regular granulated sugar instead.
Triple Vanilla Baked Donuts With Rainbow Sprinkles
- 60 grams vanilla sugar (regular can be used, (scant 1/3 cup))
- 1 large Egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 45 grams natural yogurt ((3 tablespoons))
- 20 millilitres buttermilk ((1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon))
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 vanilla pod seeds scraped out
- 190 grams Plain flour (All Purpose, (3/4 cup))
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 5 tablespoons Icing sugar (Confectioners sugar)
- a drop vanilla extract
- a drop cold water
- Rainbow sprinkles to decorate
- Pre heat your oven to 180C / 350F / Gas mark 4 and prep your doughnut tin by lightly greasing it. Prep all your ingredients so you have them to hand for the vanilla seeds, cut your vanilla pod in half and store one half of it away again and with the other half with a sharp knife split it length ways then with the back of the knife scrap along the inside to harvest the seeds.
- In a medium sized bowl whisk the vanilla sugar, egg and vanilla extract together until pale.
- Then add in the natural yogurt, buttermilk, apple sauce and vanilla seeds from your vanilla pod and give it all a good mixing until everything is well combined.
- Gently fold in the flour, baking powder and salt to the wet ingredients.
- Spoon or pipe the mixture into your donut pan and pop it into the oven for 12 to 15 minutes. Check on them after 12 minutes, they may need a few more minutes if they still feel a little soft. But be careful as these are very pale once baked.
- Once baked take them out of the oven and allow them to sit in the pan for a few minutes before removing them and letting them fully cool down on a wire rack.
- Once they are fully cooled down in a small bowl place the icing sugar and the drop of vanilla extract and drop of water to it and mix till you have the right consistency. You want it pourable but thick enough to not completely run off. It should stick to the back of your spoon. Add a tiny drop more water if you feel it is still too thick.
- Spread it over the top of each donut then cover with sprinkles liberally then enjoy.
- Baked donuts don't keep for very long, thats why I always make small batches, but kept in an airtight tin at room temperature they should last for 3 days.
Absolutely in love with these brightly colored donuts! Another wonderful creation from you. 🙂 Thanks for sharing!
Thank you Levan, colourful treats always brighten even the worst of days 🙂
I hope you had a great birthday- Birthday weeks should definitely be a thing! I LOVE donuts and vanilla, so this is a winner for me! Cannot wait to try these!
Hi Sian, thank you I did 😀 If you are a vanilla fan then these are for you.
I agree with you, leftover donuts aren’t very good. When I make donuts, we eat what we want and I give the rest away. Nobody ever turns them down.
Hi Maureen I know they are really only ever good on the first day but you are right they are happily received by those they are given too.
I like vanilla!! 🙂 And I don’t find it boring at all….except vanilla ice cream lol (unless it’s those gourmet ones which have a great vanilla flavour!). Happy birthday to you too!! You’re definitely spending birthday the way you should be!! Yours donuts look so cute and colourful!! Would love a batch of these right now 😉
Hi Von thank you. I love those gourmet ones with vanilla seeds they taste so good and creamy 🙂
Happy happy birthday week Emma! These donuts look like the perfect way to celebrate! I never think vanilla is boring either, it’s my favorite in cakes and ice cream 🙂 These look amazing with the pretty sprinkles!
Hi Kelly, thank you 🙂 I agree vanilla is a great flavour and sprinkles make everything more fun!
Happy Birthday, Emma!!
These baked donuts look so pretty and scrumptious. I love that the rainbow sprinkles have given these scrumptious treats a fun and festive touch
Hi Angie thank you 🙂 Sprinkles make everything more festive!
Happy Birthday Week! Hope it’s a goodun! 😀
I LOVE how colourful these are, Might make some of these but with red and green sprinkles for christmas.
By the way – so agree, vanilla is a brilliant flavour – you can never go wrong!
Hi Emma, thank you 🙂 They would make great Christmas donuts with red and green sprinkles!
Happy Birthday!! I can practically smell the vanilla beans from here! I am 100% in agreement on vanilla, and the vanilla beans take the flavor to a whole new level! Enjoy your week of pampering!
Hi Brianna, thank you so much Vanilla is a great flavour and goes so well with almost everything! Have a great Thanksgiving 🙂