I think it is common knowledge that I am a little obsessed with peanut butter. I could happily have it for every meal is some shape, way or form. One of my favourite meals to enjoy peanut butter is breakfast, on toast, in oatmeal or in muffins. And these Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Muffins are my latest peanut butter breakfast obsession. Sweet, dense, nutty, a little bit chocolaty and a great way to sneak some veggies into breakfast.
Peanut Butter Delight.
As I have already mentioned I am a peanut butter fiend, I just love the stuff. I don’t really need much of an excuse to eat it and that is pretty much why I put it into these sweet potato chocolate chip peanut butter muffins. I just thought sweet potato and peanut butter would be nice together, and oh boy, yes it was. It added a gentle nutty aftertaste to these muffins. I used a crunchy peanut butter, so there were little nut bits all the way through these muffins, which added a lovely texture. But smooth peanut butter can be used in its place.
I used a good old fashioned traditional peanut butter, I am not too sure of the results you would have if you used a more natural style peanut butter. If you give it a go let me know in the comments how they turned out. Muffins are pretty forgiving so I am sure they would be fine. But if the batter felt particularly wet then maybe a few extra tablespoons of flour may help. Having not tried it, it really is guesswork on my part.
Sneak those Veggies in.
One great thing about these sweet potato chocolate chip peanut butter muffins is you are sneaking some veggies into a sweetly packaged muffin. So those fussy pickers and eaters will never know that they are eating veggies for breakfast 😉 If for some bizarre weird reason you have an aversion to sweet potatoes, then you could use pumpkin as a substitute. But if you can use sweet potato as they really do have a lovely flavour and are perfect for these muffins.
The chocolate chips are also optional, but hey a little dark chocolate never hurt anyone and in its own way it’s also pretty good for you! So here you are, you newest breakfast obsession….. You’re welcome 😀
Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Muffins
- 250 grams plain / all purpose flour (2 cups)
- 100 grams light brown sugar (1/2 cup - lightly packed)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 80 millilitres vegetable oil (1/3 cup)
- 160 millilitres buttermilk (2/3 cup)
- 170 grams sweet potato puree (3/4 cup)
- 125 grams crunchy peanut butter (1/2 cup)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 100 grams dark chocolate chips (1/2 cup)
- Preheat your oven to 220C / 400F / Gas mark 7 and line or grease a 12 hole muffin tin.
- In a large bowl mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt until they are well combined.
- In a large jug mix the oil, buttermilk, sweet potato puree, peanut butter, egg and vanilla together until you have a smooth liquid and everything is fully mixed together.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients together and mix with a gentle hand.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter into your muffin tin, the batter should give you exactly 12 standard sized muffins.
- Pop them into your hot oven.
- After 8 minutes turn the heat down in your oven, to 190C / 375F / Gas mark 5 and bake for a further 15 minutes.
- Check to see if your muffins are baked through by inserting a pick into the centre of one. If it comes out clean then your muffins are baked through.
- Take them out of the oven but allow them to sit in the tin for 10 minutes. Then transfer them to a wire rack to fully cool down.
- Kept in an airtight tin at room temperature these muffins will last for 5 days. They also freeze well for up to 3 months.