Since I have started my blog I have noticed that granola bars are a bit of a holy grail for many food bloggers. Trying to get that perfect chewy crispy consistency can be hard. For me many have come out of the oven either too soft and soggy or too hard and brittle. I have experimented loads and these beautiful sunflower seed granola bars are the result of many hours of kitchen frustration! But trust me they were so worth it 😀
Sugar & Sweetness
I tried to keep the sugar content down as little as I could in these bars. But when I made them with all honey they came out very soggy and pretty undesirable 🙁 So I went back to my old friend sugar. I used a light brown sugar, partly because it has a wonderful flavour and partly because it’s less refined then white sugar.
These bars are not too sweet and the sugar is just the right amount. I still added a little honey to them because is has such a lovely deep rich flavour.
To give these granola bars lots of lovely texture I added in sunflower seeds which are packed full of healthy vitamins like vitamin E, B1, B6 and B3. As well as being rich in cooper, manganese and selenium.To add even more texture I added in cashews, raisins and flaked almonds all of which are packed full of vitamins and heart healthy fats. I tried to balance out that sugar as much as I could to stop you feeling guilty for eating too many of these 😉
I love a granola bar to snack on but shop bought ones are packed full of some ingredients I have no clue what they are and mass amounts of sugar. Where at least here I know what is in every bite 🙂 These make a great breakfast on the go or a little sweet treat for your lunchbox. This recipe is pretty forgiving and if you are not a fan of something in these you should be able to easily replace it for something you prefer. Give these simple bars a go you wont regret it 😀
Sunflower Seeds Granola Bars
- 150 grams light brown sugar ((3/4 cup - packed))
- 3 tablespoons clear runny honey
- 150 grams Unsalted butter ((3/4 cup))
- 250 grams rolled oats ((2 and 1/2 cups))
- 100 grams raisins ((1/2 cup))
- 75 grams unsalted cashews - broken into bits ((1/2 cup before being bashed))
- 50 grams sunflower seeds ((1/4 cup))
- 25 grams flaked almonds ((1/4 cup))
- Prep an 8x8 inch square pan by lining it with parchment paper, then place it to one side and preheat your oven to 160C / 325F / Gas mark 3.
- In a medium sized saucepan put in the sugar, honey and butter and melt over a medium heat until the sugar has dissolved. Once it has place the pan to one side to cool.
- While your pan is cooling, in a large mixing bowl place your rolled oats and raisins.
- Place your cashews in a plastic zip lock bag and give them a gentle bash with a rolling pin to break them down into small pieces. Then add these to your mixing bowl.
- Add in your sunflower seeds and flaked almonds and give everything a good mixing.
- Pour in the liquid ingredients from your cooled pan and stir until everything is very well combined.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared pan and press it down with the back of a spoon and pop it in the oven for 30 to 35 minutes.
- You want your granola bars to be golden in colour, when it is, take it out of the oven and allow it to fully cool down. About an hour, depending on how cold your kitchen is!
- Take the cold granola slab and cut it into 12 equal size squares.
- Kept in an airtight tin these granola bars will keep well for up to one week.