Even though we are crashing into Autumn, there is always room for a tasty flapjack on the menu. Especially when it’s tucked away in my lunchbox for an afternoon pick-me-up. These sugar free vegan fruity flapjacks have no refined sugar in them. And they taste absolutely divine.
The main ingredient in these flapjacks is fruit. We have dates, figs, apricots, sultanas and cranberries all mushed together to create a naturally sweet treat. I am a huge fruit fan, but I understand that fruit is packed full of sugars so moderation is always a good thing. Which is really hard to do with these sugar free vegan fruity flapjacks because they are so addictive!
The fruit helps to keep these bars soft but the oats do give them a little crunch and chewiness.
I decided to keep these bars vegan. I didn’t see any need to have any animal fats or products in them. While I am strictly vegetarian I am not strictly vegan…yet! My hubby’s worst nightmare! His ultimate fantasy would involve me tucking into a plate of meat….. yuck! Anyway I digress. These are vegan purely because I saw no need to add any kind of fat to them. The fruit keeps them soft and the oats keep them chewy. To help them maintain a little shape and structure I did add a little flour and baked them in the oven for a short time.
I have several no bake granola style bars if you fancy something that is no bake.
Sugar Free Vegan Fruity Flapjacks
Yield 12 flapjacks
Sweet tasty flapjacks that are packed full of natural ingredients and are Vegan as well. And with just a few simple ingredient swaps you can make these Gluten Free.
- 100 grams semi-dried Dates (heaped 1/2 cup)
- 125 grams semi-dried Figs (8 individual figs)
- 200 grams semi-dried Apricots - divided (1 cup)
- 8 tablespoons of Water
- 100 grams Oats (1 cup)
- 25 grams Instant/Quick oats (1/3 cup)
- 50 grams Plain/All Purpose Flour (1/2 cup)
- 50 grams Natvia (1/4 cup)*
- 45 grams Sultanas (1/3 cup)
- 45 grams Pine Nuts (1/3 cup)
- 40 grams dried Cranberries (1/3 cup)
- Pre-heat your oven to 180c/350f/Gas mark 4 and line an 8"/20cm square tin with baking parchment and place to one side.
- Add your dates, figs and half of the apricots to your food processor along with the 8 tablespoons of water. And pulse until you have a smooth paste.
- Transfer your fruit paste to a medium sized mixing bowl and mix in the oats, instant/quick oats, flour and Natvia*.
- To this mixture fold in the sultanas, pine nuts and cranberries.
- Chop up the remaining apricots and fold them into the mixture.
- Press the mixture into your pre-prepared tin and flatten it out until even.
- Pop the tin into your oven for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes take the tin out of your oven and allow it to come to room tempreture.
- Once fully cool slice up into bars.
- I have used Natvia Natural 0 calorie sweetener, as I work with them on Instagram. But you can use any sweetener in place of Natvia.
- To make these Gluten Free, simply make sure the oats you use are certified gluten-free and replace the flour with your favourite gluten-free mix.
Serving Size 1 bar (out of 12)
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 3.5 g
Saturated Fat 0.3 g
Sodium 4 mg
Total Carbohydrates 35 g
Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
Sugars 20.1 g
Protein 3.4 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.