Refined Sugar Free Scottish Oaty Crumbles are a lovely afternoon treat and are perfect for lunch boxes as well. So easy to make and only a few basic store cupboard essentials needed. You no doubt have all the ingredients already.
Shamefully, even though I live in Scotland, I rarely share any Scottish treats with you. It probably has something to do with the cuisine being very meat based, heavy and a little bit stodgy. Not overly attractive to an English Vegetarian who likes lighter food. But there is the occasional sweet treat that catches my eye and it will quickly become a firm favourite, just like these refined sugar free Scottish Oaty crumbles.
I made these a few years ago and you can find the original recipe for my Scottish Oaty Crumbles here. But after being sent a few free samples of Natvia natural sweetener I was inspired to see if I could make them just a little bit healthier. And they totally work with the sweetener in place of the sugar.
They are still just as perfect but with fewer calories. So a complete win!
As the title suggests these are packed full of oats and if there is one thing that the Scottish love its oats. They are used in a multitude of recipes from savoury pastry to sweet treats, just like these refined sugar free Scottish oaty crumbles. I love oats because they are packed full of good things like vitamins, minerals and fibre. And they are a great ingredient to bake with. They are tasty and wholesome, these bars would also make a great breakfast on the go.
Obviously, the Natvia replaces the sugar in the recipe and helps to keep these sugar free Scottish oaty crumbles sweet. I also have sultanas for a hit of natural chewy sweetness. There is also a tablespoon of agave nectar in these bad boys, to help bring the ingredients together in the mixing bowl. But all in all, these are a great little treat to enjoy, even if you are not chasing a sugar free life. I promise you will just love these sugar free Scottish oaty crumbles.
Disclaimer: The Natvia sweetener was given to me free as part of an ambassador program I am part of with Natvia on Instagram. All opinions are my own and I was not asked to write this post.
Refined Sugar Free Scottish Oaty Crumbles
- 50 grams Natvia natural sweetener (1/4 cup)
- 115 grams unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 120 grams plain / all purpose flour (1 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 90 grams rolled oats (1 cup)
- 45 grams sultanas (1/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon rolled oats
- Preheat your oven to 180C/350F/Gas mark 4 and grease or line an 8 inch square tin and put aside.
- In a medium sized saucepan melt the sweetener, butter and agave nectar over a medium heat once melted put aside to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl mix the flour and salt together then add the oats and sultanas.
- Pour the cool syrup mixture over the oats and mix well.
- Press the mixture into your prepared tin and press it down with your fingers. Sprinkle the top with the tablespoon of oats.
- Pop into your oven for 20 to 25 minutes until a light golden colour.
- Score into 8 slices while still hot and allow to fully cool in the tin.
- Once cool snap it into slices and keep them in an airtight tin for up to 5 days.