Sweet strawberries in a lovely summer floral syrup and topped with a sweetened goats cheese makes this the perfect summer dessert to share with your someone special. Strawberries in Rosè Syrup with Sweet Goats Cheese makes a lovely summer dessert.
Most of us love strawberries, they are at their peak in summer and they are cheap and in abundance making them perfect for summer desserts. This is a really simple no bake dessert, that only takes a little marinating and a small amount of mixing. This dessert comes together so quickly and you can always make it ahead of time earlier in the day and keep it in the fridge till needed.
The strawberries are marinaded in a little rosè wine, rose water and sugar each flavour complementing the other and not to sweet either.
A little bit boozy!
Yep this dessert is a little bit boozy and maybe not really for kids, hence why this recipe really is aimed at 2, but for parties and the like it is easily doubled or tripled. If you want to give it a go for a younger audience I would recomend replacing the rosè wine with a simple sugar syrup so the floral rose flavour still comes through. But by all means try it with fruit juice and let me know how you get on.
Sweetened goats cheese
I know not everyone is a fan of goats cheese and it’s not always the cheapest option around but it goes so well with this dish. I used a creamy French goats cheese which has a slight tang to it and sweetened it a little with caster sugar (super fine sugar) which I know is not really used a lot outside of the UK so if you can’t get your hands on it by all means give granulated a go or possibly even icing sugar (powdered sugar) but I did find caster the best to use.
Is that basil?
Yep your eyes do not deceive you! Basil finely cut into strips and bruised finishes this dish perfectly. Basil has such a lovely versatile flavour and its sweet peppery flavour finishes this dish perfectly. It’s not compulsory but does adds a certain something to this dish 😀
So sit back with your loved one or a good friend watch the sun set and enjoy this lovely summer inspired dessert.
Strawberries in Rosè Syrup with Sweet Goats Cheese
- 150 grams strawberries - hulled and cut length ways ((Approx. 12 large strawberries))
- 45 millilitres Rosè wine ((3 tablespoons))
- 1 teaspoon rose water
- 45 grams caster (superfine sugar - divided, (3 tablespoons))
- 75 grams French goats cheese ((1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons))
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 fresh basil leaves
- Wash then hull the strawberries and cut them length ways and place to one side.
- In a small bowl stir the wine and rose water together add 30 grams (2 tablespoons) of the sugar and stir till the sugar dissolves.
- Pour over the strawberries, stir to make sure all the strawberries are covered and place to one side.
- Add the remaining sugar to the goats cheese and mix well add in the vanilla extract stir until smooth.
- Bruise the basil leaves by scrunching them up then slice into fine strips.
- Divide the strawberries between 2 bowls and divide the goats cheese into two and place on top of the strawberries then scatter the basil over the top of the two bowls.
- Best eaten on the day of making but will keep in the fridge overnight.
What a killer Summertime recipe! I need more strawberries in my life!
Hi Pamela thank you. You can never have enough strawberries in your life 🙂
I love the sound of this! Great combination.
Hi Caroline thank you 🙂 the flavours really compliment each other well.
What a refreshing and elegant dessert! Looks gorgeous and I love the strawberries and basil combo. They sound amazing with the rose water and goat cheese and the rose wine makes this such a fun treat:)
Thank you Kelly 😀 the flavours here really complimented each other so well and the basil added a lovely mild spicy kick!
This is such a gorgeous and refreshing dish. Love the flavor combination you’ve got here. Can’t wait to try it.
Hi Amy thank you 🙂 I hope you enjoy it when you try it!
What a light and lovely dessert! I’ve just discovered how well strawberries and rose go together. And adding basil and goat cheese just make this more elegant!
Hi Liz thank you for some reason rose water really brings out the sweetness of strawberries I love that combo 🙂
I love the idea of topping this with a sweetened goat cheese! Strawberry and basil is such an awesome combo … and a little boozy?? I’m in!
Hi Ashley I think a boozy dessert now and again is a good thing 😀
A perfect summer dessert! I really love the pairing with goat cheese.
Hi Angie, thank you I love to use goats cheese in desserts it does have a lovely flavour.
I’ve never had poached strawberries and goats cheese before but holy cow does that sound good!
Hi Maureen it’s a great combo and a great summer dessert 🙂