Sometimes we all need that quick and easy go-to recipe that will get us out of a bind and this Small Batch No Chill Gingerbread Cookies recipe will be the perfect one for you when you need gingerbread men in a hurry! It’s a pretty small batch, the dough needs no chilling, they keep their shape and they are packed full of flavour.
There is nothing weird or untoward in these cookies, just sweet spicy goodness. We start with a little brown sugar some molasses and some spices, we melt all this together. Then we drop in a little unsalted butter allow that to melt into the warm sugary mix then add in the rest of the ingredients. Flour, baking powder and an egg yolk. Yep that’s it, nothing weird in these small batch no chill gingerbread cookies.
These cookies have a pretty strong molasses flavour to them and the combination of sweet spices used compliment it perfectly. Ginger, cinnamon, allspice and ground cloves. But if you want to reduce the molasses flavour a little then take a tablespoon of it away from the amount used in the recipe. This will also give them a slightly lighter appearance.
This batter can go straight into your hot oven and it will keep its shape. Should you want to make the batter ahead of time I suggest you refrigerate the cookie dough and then allow it to sit at room temperature for at least 10 minutes before baking. You may also need to give them an extra minute or two in the oven.
Like all cookies allow them to fully cool down if you wish to decorate them, I just used a few sprinkles and a little water icing to decorate mine. As I have stated before I am pretty useless when it comes to decorating cakes and cookies. Enough to get by is my philosophy and long live the naked cake trend! 😂
What you see here in the photographs was how many cookies this dough made. 6 large cookies, 4 medium and 5 small cookies. Depending on what your needs are will depend how many cookies you have. The time before when I made only large ones I got 9 gingerbread men. So play about to see what you need.
Small Batch No Chill Gingerbread Cookies
- 45 grams light brown sugar (1/4 cup lightly packed)
- 100 grams molasses (1/4 cup)
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Pinch salt
- 55 grams unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 210 grams plain / all purpose flour (1 and 2/3 cup + 4 teaspoons)
- Preheat your oven to 170c / 340F / Gas mark 3 and line a large baking sheet with baking parchment or a silicone mat then place to one side.
- In a small saucepan on the hob add in the sugar, molasses, spices & salt and on a low heat melt everything together.
- Once the sugar has melted into the molasses take it off the heat and add in the butter then stir until its melted into the molasses mix.
- Allow it to cool for a few minutes then add in the egg yolk and stir until everything is well incorporated.
- Add the baking powder to the flour and gradually add that to the liquid ingredients and mix until you have a dough that is the consistency of play dough.
- Roll the dough out between 2 sheets of baking parchment or clingfilm / plastic wrap until it's 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut your cookies out using cutters dusted in icing sugar and place your cookies on your cookie sheet and pop them in your hot oven.
- Bake cookies for 8-12 minutes depending on the size of your cookies.
- Take them out of the oven once they are baked and leave them to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to fully cool down.
- Decorate as you wish once they are fully cooled down.
- These cookies are best eaten within 3 days and kept in an airtight tin at room temperature.