This recipe for Small Baked Camemberts With Homemade Blueberry Compote is so simple its almost too embarrassing to share because it is so simple to make but its so delicious I just couldn’t resist sharing it with you today.
But then again I am a sucker for anything with gooey melty cheese involved 😀 Warm gooey cheese topped with fruit to me is simply heaven!
I used camembert because I love the flavour it has, especially when it is perfectly ripe. But some people do find it a little strong so you can use brie instead if you prefer a milder flavour.
To stop the cheese exploding in the oven you need to score it. This is the perfect time to add in your flavouring. If I am after a more savoury treat I will often rub garlic or herbs over the top and in the slashes. But I wanted a sweeter treat this time and rubbed a little soft light brown sugar over the top and as you can see it slightly caramelises in the oven 😀
A quick word on baking camembert (the same applies to brie). You must bake it for the specified time in an already pre heated oven. You see, the cheese goes from solid to that lovely gooey mess you see here to solid again if left in the oven too long. And once it goes solid there is no returning it to the gooey state. So please keep to the specified baking times.
I then dolloped the easiest homemade blueberry compote on top to turn this simple cheese into something out of this world!I am a big believer of using frozen fruits for recipes, it is a lot cheaper and you can enjoy the taste of summer all year round. Though this time I did use fresh blueberries but have used frozen in the past so use whichever you prefer. Both are really good.
The compote is so simple to make, blueberries, a little water, a little sugar and a little cornflour to thicken it at the end. Simple, easy and yummy 😀
Whenever I serve these to guests or when I am making a pig of myself! I love to use crispy crackers to scoop up all that cheese, but they also pair well with salads as part of a bigger meal.
Small Baked Camemberts With Homemade Blueberry Compote
Yield 2 servings
A perfect gooey cheese dish topped with a homemade blueberry compote. Simple and quick to make.
- 2 small (125 grams each) camemberts
- 160 grams blueberries - fresh or frozen, (1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar, (optional)
- Pre heat your oven to 180C / 350F / Gas mark 4.
- First make the compote. Place your blueberries in a small to medium sized pan. Add in the water and sugar and on a low heat gently cook stirring until the blueberries start to break down. This will take a little longer if you are using frozen blueberries.
- Once they have started to break down take a tablespoon on the juice and place in a small cup and mix in the cornflour.
- Pour the cornflour mix into your pan and stir it into the fruit. It will thicken quickly. Take it off the heat and cover the pan and place to one side.
- Your oven should now be at temperature. Place your cheeses - unwrapped but still in their wicker baskets they should have come with - on a baking sheet.
- With a sharp knife score 3 or 4 lines across the top of them. If using rub the light brown sugar over the tops of them.
- Place them in your oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Take them out of the oven after 15 minutes and very gently place them on your serving plates and divide the blueberry compote over the two cheeses and serve immediately.