Stop the Press! Hold the train! Delay the ship and let me get off I have to share this life changing drink with you right now. Slow Cooker Spicy Nutella Hot Chocolate is going to change your life, do you hear me? Change your life people…… Now this sounds like a big claim but trust me this liquid gold is amazing! Now I know you are all asking why is this so good well let me tell you, first off its so thick and creamy its unbelievable, the slow cooker gently heats and thickens this drink so that it really is like a hug in a mug. The Nutella flavour is just right, strong enough that the flavour is perfect but not too strong that it becomes sickly. And the cheeky spicy kick takes this drink to the next level, its not going to blow your head off its just going to leave you lovely and warm. The spices are optional but highly recommended.
Slow Cooker For Hot Chocolate?
Since buying my slow cooker I can’t get enough of it, it’s great for making sweet treats. Traditionally I have always made hot chocolate in a pan, and there is a little pan work with this recipe but the slow cooker does all the hard work here. It gently heats everything together over 2 and 1/2 hours on high or 4 to 4 and 1/2 hours on slow and makes it so thick and creamy and you can then keep it on warm so you have this slow cooker spicy Nutella hot chocolate on hand throughout the night!!! There is no reason this couldn’t be made in a pan on the stove top, I would just imagine it would take a bit of time to reach the desired consistancy. I haven’t tried to make it this way so I have no recommendations for timings, but in theory it should work!
The slow cooker gives you a chance to make this in advance of you needing it. If your Halloween festivities are based outside just think how warm this is going to keep you. Or if like me you are British and will be celebrating Bonfire Night on 5th November this will be the perfect drink for watching those fireworks and toasting to the Guy on the bonfire. Need a treat for bonfire night to accompany this hot chocolate then check out my S’mores Cupcakes they will pair perfectly together.
All the spices used here are sweet spices, and with a little experimentation I have found this to be the right amount for a perfectly warming feel that doesn’t blow your head off! The spices are optional as they may not be to everyones taste. I know little ones may find them a bit too much. But as I said before they are highly recommended and they give this drink a lovely twist, go on be a devil and give them a try 😉
Hot chocolate just isn’t hot chocolate without all the trimmings, for me you need a ton of mini marshmallows to start it off. I have used vegetarian marshmallows which are expensive and difficult to come by but normal regular marshmallows will work perfectly.
Then top with lashings of cream and a few gold sprinkles if you like 😀 Serve with a spoon and tuck in!
I promise you and your guests (if you can bring yourself to share) will adore this drink, it will bring warm happy smiles to all.
If your are not a Nutella fan or suffer with a nut allergy try out my Homemade Hot Chocolate Drinking Powder. This will also give you a rich thick and creamy traditional hot chocolate without the nuts.
I hope everyone has a Happy Halloween and a fun Bonfire Night 😀
Slow Cooker Spicy Nutella Hot Chocolate
Yield 6 medium sized cups
A rich thick and creamy hot chocolate packed full of Nutella for that lovely chocolaty hazelnut taste and all spiced up with a combination of warming spices.
- 50 grams Cocoa powder, (1/2 cup)
- 140 grams Nutella, (1/2 cup)
- 110 grams granulated sugar, (1/2 cup)
- 240 millilitres hot water, (1 cup)
- 960 millilitres milk, (4 cups)
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves, (optional)
- A pinch ground mace, (optional)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, (optional)
- 1 individual star anise, (optional)
- Add everything to a large pan except the milk & spices if using and gently heat until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture has come to a gentle boil.
- Transfer the liquid to your slow cooker and add in the milk and spices, give everything a good stir pop the lid on and if using high heat leave for 2 to 2 and 1/2 hours if using a low heat leave for 4 to 4 and 1/2 hours.
- If you want to keep it warm turn your slow cooker to warm and leave until you want to use it. If you still have some left over just reheat it by also turning your slow cooker to warm.
- If you are using the trimmings, serve up your hot chocolate in mugs and top with marshmallows and whipped cream.
- This drink is best drunk on the day of making but will keep up to 3 days if kept in the fridge.
Courses Jams / Sauces / Drinks