A few weeks ago I shared a recipe for homemade pumpkin pie spice with you guys, mainly for the British bakers out there as we can’t buy it in the UK. And I promised you more recipes using this lovely spice first there was my pumpkin pie spice apple chips and now I’m sharing this amazing slow cooker pumpkin pie rice pudding.
As I mentioned before in my post slow cooker butterscotch fondue I don’t really know why I bought a slow cooker, it was a fancy that I took and I am really glad that I did. With some experimenting I have found it can cook a multitude of different kinds of dishes. Including rice pudding 😀
But because it is October and in the height of Fall and right smack bang in the middle of pumpkin season yippee 😀 I wanted to make pumpkin pie rice pudding. I wanted to try and capture that lovely pie flavour without all the calories of a slice of pie.
Gluten Free and Vegan
This dish can be made both gluten free and vegan, both times I made this dish it was gluten free and the second time vegan so you can play about with the ingredients as you please.
My pudding rice was certified gluten free so you need to make sure of that if you are making this for someone on a gluten free diet.
To make this vegan, I replaced the cow’s milk with almond milk, but I should imagine any vegan milk would work. I am sure coconut milk would work really well. Also instead of the butter I used to grease my slow cooker I used vegetable fat. So as you can see this recipe can suit a variety of diets.
So grab your slow cooker and get cooking. This lovely treat makes a wonderful comforting warm autumn dessert or breakfast treat.
Slow Cooker Pumpkin Pie Rice Pudding
- 1 teaspoon butter - vegetable fat if making vegan
- 235 grams rice - I used Gluten Free pudding rice ((1 cup))
- 250 grams pumpkin puree ((1 cup))
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 100 grams brown sugar ((1/2 cup)>)
- 480 millilitres milk - almond milk will make this vegan ((2 cups))
- Dried cranberries to taste
- Lightly grease your slow cooker with either the butter or vegetable fat.
- Weigh and measure out all your ingredients except the milk and cranberries and place them in your slow cooker and give them a good stir.
- Pour in 120 millilitres (1/2 cup) of your milk into your slow cooker and stir everything together.
- Put your slow cooker on low and cook.
- After 4 hours add inn the remaining milk and stir well. Test your rice at this point to gage how long you need to leave it. If you like your rice with a bite then it should be ready now if you like your rice a little softer then continue to cook for a little longer.
- Once its ready add in your dried cranberries stir them through and serve.
- This rice pudding is best eaten on the day of making but kept in the fridge it will keep up to 3 days. Reheat before serving again.
this is very interesting, I have never tried making a rice pudding in my slow cooker, i have just used it mainly for meat really . It looks really good and i see that the recipe is very easy to follow, I will defiantly give this a try
Hi Sebastian, thank you 😀 I hope you do try it the slow cooker is great for things like rice pudding. Dessert with none of the fuss!
This looks and sounds incredible! I absolutely love my slow cooker but have yet to make rice pudding in it… now I must!
Hi Natalie, thank you 🙂 slow cookers are great for rice pudding I hope you get around to trying it out.
This pumpkin rice pudding sounds delicious – plus I love that it is made in the slow cooker!
Hi Amy, thank you I love my slow cooker and am always looking for new ways to use it 😀
I adore my slow cooker – and am always looking for new recipes to try out in it. This sounds delicious!
Hi Ashley, thank you. I must admit my slow cooker was one of my better purchases I do use it and it doesn’t collect too much dust 😉
I don’t own a slow cooker, though I do own a thermal cooker which does a similar job 🙂 A slow cooked sounds like heaps of fun though! Your rice pudding looks so good!
Hi Von, this can be made in a pan on the stove if you don’t have a slow cooker though your thermal cooker sounds like it can do the job just as well 🙂
I love finding recipes to make in the slow cooker and this pumpkin pie rice pudding sounds like the just the dish. It looks amazing and the pumpkin pie flavour is just perfect for fall 🙂
Hi Kelly, thank you 🙂 I too love finding new recipes for my slow cooker I collect them all so I can try them at a later date!
Why didn’t I think of making rice pudding in slow cooker? It looks really superb!
Hi Angie, I find my slow cooker really good for rice pudding the rice is really soft and tender. It’s definitely worth a try!