A few weeks ago I shared a recipe for homemade pumpkin pie spice with you guys, mainly for the British bakers out there as we can’t buy it in the UK. And I promised you more recipes using this lovely spice first there was my pumpkin pie spice apple chips and now I’m sharing this amazing slow cooker pumpkin pie rice pudding.
As I mentioned before in my post slow cooker butterscotch fondue I don’t really know why I bought a slow cooker, it was a fancy that I took and I am really glad that I did. With some experimenting I have found it can cook a multitude of different kinds of dishes. Including rice pudding 😀
But because it is October and in the height of Fall and right smack bang in the middle of pumpkin season yippee 😀 I wanted to make pumpkin pie rice pudding. I wanted to try and capture that lovely pie flavour without all the calories of a slice of pie.
Gluten Free and Vegan
This dish can be made both gluten free and vegan, both times I made this dish it was gluten free and the second time vegan so you can play about with the ingredients as you please.
My pudding rice was certified gluten free so you need to make sure of that if you are making this for someone on a gluten free diet.
To make this vegan, I replaced the cow’s milk with almond milk, but I should imagine any vegan milk would work. I am sure coconut milk would work really well. Also instead of the butter I used to grease my slow cooker I used vegetable fat. So as you can see this recipe can suit a variety of diets.
So grab your slow cooker and get cooking. This lovely treat makes a wonderful comforting warm autumn dessert or breakfast treat.
Slow Cooker Pumpkin Pie Rice Pudding
- 1 teaspoon butter - vegetable fat if making vegan
- 235 grams rice - I used Gluten Free pudding rice ((1 cup))
- 250 grams pumpkin puree ((1 cup))
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 100 grams brown sugar ((1/2 cup)>)
- 480 millilitres milk - almond milk will make this vegan ((2 cups))
- Dried cranberries to taste
- Lightly grease your slow cooker with either the butter or vegetable fat.
- Weigh and measure out all your ingredients except the milk and cranberries and place them in your slow cooker and give them a good stir.
- Pour in 120 millilitres (1/2 cup) of your milk into your slow cooker and stir everything together.
- Put your slow cooker on low and cook.
- After 4 hours add inn the remaining milk and stir well. Test your rice at this point to gage how long you need to leave it. If you like your rice with a bite then it should be ready now if you like your rice a little softer then continue to cook for a little longer.
- Once its ready add in your dried cranberries stir them through and serve.
- This rice pudding is best eaten on the day of making but kept in the fridge it will keep up to 3 days. Reheat before serving again.