There are certain flavours that make us think of Spring and sunnier warmer weather and bright clean citrus flavours are definitely high on that list. This Simple Lemon and Lime Snack Cake will definitely tick this box along with a few others. 😍🍰🍋
I blinked turned around and suddenly its March! Seriously when did that happen? I had noticed the days were getting longer and a little warmer. Though it seems I haven’t stopped to catch my breath once. Except when I made this simple lemon and lime snack cake and enjoyed a square with my cup of tea.
A simple light lemon and lime infused sponge and a tart lemon and lime icing glaze over the top of it. The light sponge and tart icing pair perfectly for a bright and fresh tasting cake.
Let’s talk ingredients
The sponge is a simple one to put together and there is nothing weird or unusual in here. The sponge is brought together using the creaming method, I like this technique as I find it does give you a superior crumb a light and tender one. This sponge also has sour cream in it which is another great tenderiser. It does add a subtle sour flavour which pairs perfectly with the lemon and lime. The sour cream helps to keep this sponge soft & tender.
This is a pretty simple glaze to put together and it’s so fresh and zesty. Instead of mixing it with water we use lemon and lime juice to counterbalance the super sweetness of the icing sugar. Then we add in a little cream cheese and milk to richen it up. The icing glaze won’t set hard but it will thicken up a little on your cake.
Simple Lemon and Lime Snack Cake
For the cake
- 175 grams unsalted butter (1 and 1/2 sticks + 1 tablespoon)
- 175 grams granulated sugar (3/4 cup)
- 2 large eggs
- 150 millilitres sour cream (1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons)
- Zest of 1 lemon & 1 lime
- Juice of half a lime & half a lemon - keep the other half for the glaze
- 250 grams plain/all purpose flour (2 cups)
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
For the icing glaze
- 270 grams icing/confectioners sugar (3 cups)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice & lime juice
- 2 tablespoons full fat cream cheese
- 1 - 2 tablespoons milk - depending on consistency
- Line or grease a 9x9 (20cmx20cm) square tin and place to one side and preheat your oven to 180C/350F/Gas mark 4.
- For best results use either a stand mixer or an electric hand mixer, but by all means a bowl & a wooden spoon mixed with a little elbow grease will get the job done.
- Mix the butter and sugar together until they are light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time mixing after each addition.
- Once everything is well combined mix in the sour cream along with the lemon and lime zest and juice.
- On a slow speed fold in the flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- Once everything is combined pour the batter into the tin and place it into your hot oven and bake.
- Check your cake after 30 minutes, it should have a lovely golden colour to it and a pick should come out of the centre of the cake clean. Like me you may need a little more time to fully bake it through as my oven is really slow.
- Once baked allow your cake to sit in the tin for 5 minutes before transferring it to a wire rack to fully cool down to room temperature.
- This cake works well with or without the glaze but if you do want to make it then add the icing sugar, lemon & lime juice to a bowl and slowly mix it all together.
- Then add in the cream cheese and a much milk as you need to have a thick pourable icing. I found I needed 1 tablespoon of milk to give me the right consistency.
- Pour the icing over your cake and if you want you can add a little lemon and lime zest for decoration.
- Leave to set for 15 minutes then slice your cake into 12.
- Because the icing has dairy in it this cake needs to be kept in the fridge, enjoy straight from the fridge or allow it to come to room temperature before serving.
- This cake will keep for 5 days in an airtight tin kept in the fridge.
- The cake will freeze well if undecorated, defrost and eat within 3 months.
This is an amazing and palatable treat, especially for people with a sweet tooth like me! Great work, Emma!
Thank you Agness 🙂
Snack cakes are just the best! This sounds so lovely with the lemon / lime and that icing!
Thanks Ashley 🙂
How pretty, refreshing and delicious looking lime cake. Indeed these flavors are making me think of Spring.
I can’t wait for sunnier times 🙂
I can’t believe how quickly March came! Love this simple snack cake! Citrus desserts are my favorite!
I know Kelly and now march is halfway through!!!!
SO pretty and definitely yummy!! I love the new look of your blog!!!!
Thank you Liz 🙂
This cake is definitely sunshine in cake form :). Lemon and lime are such cheerful flavors! Love this post!
Thank you so much Kelsie 🙂
This looks so good! I love lemon and lime together, I could just go a slice!
Lemon and lime are great bed fellows, thanks Caroline 🙂
This is so beautiful with that smooth icing! I love citrus flavoured cakes.
Thanks Angie 🙂