We have all had that ‘Oh No’ moment and it tends to happen most at this time of the year!
The other day after returning home from visiting family we noticed a hand delivered package on the doorstep. Further investigation revealed a lovely, very thoughtful and completely unexpected gift from a neighbour!
We had a couple of hours before they returned from work to sort something out. Michael aka: Mr Bake Then Eat rushed me to the kitchen and told me to create something worthy of a Christmas gift.
We had very little in the house, we had a couple of cakes which are lovely but as all food bloggers will understand, when you bake a cake, especially if its for your blog, its going to have a slice cut out of it! Which is fine when you present your cake to close friends and family, they understand the need to cut the cake to photograph it 😀
But you can’t go gifting a cake that has already been cut into, even if the slice is shoved back in!
Hallelujah For Food Blogs
Lacking completely in ideas I hit one of my favourite all time blogs, which I know is reliable and has never let me down. Brown Eyed Baker. Michelle, the kitchen guru behind the site has a tone of brilliant ideas from snacks to full meals and a delectable range of sweet treats.
This is where I got this recipe from, it’s pretty much the same recipe except the quantity was reduced and instead of using just pecans I used mixed nuts. (It’s all I had in the house)
This is a brilliant quick to put together recipe and with a bit of crafty quick thinking and a handy glass jar you can make a lovely foodie gift out of these.
Not Just A Foodie Gift
If you don’t have need of a last minute foodie gift these make a lovely bowl of nibbles for you or your guests. After all we all love a nibble with a glass of your favourite tipple.
What’s your favourite party nibble? These are definitely joining my favourites list.
Original recipe from BrownEyedBaker.com
Salty Cinnamon Sugar Candied Nuts
- 110 grams granulated sugar ((1/2 cup))
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 225 grams mixed whole nuts - or nuts of your choice ((2 cups))
- Preheat your oven to 130C / 250F / Gas mark 1/2
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Put the sugar, cinnamon and salt in a large plastic food bag and put to one side.
- In a medium size-mixing bowl whisk the vanilla extract, egg white and water together. Add your nuts and gently stir them so they get a good coating of the egg white mix.
- With a slotted spoon take your nuts out of off the egg wash and place them in the bag with the sugar, salt and spice. Seal the top of the bag and give everything a good shake to make sure all of your nuts are well covered.
- Using another slotted spoon, take your coated nuts out of the sugar mix and place them on your prepared baking sheet.
- Pop them in the oven for 1 hour, giving them a stir every 15 minutes.
- Take them out and allow them to cool to room temperature.
- These can be kept in an airtight container for 2 weeks.