It’s been an age since my last banana recipe 😱 I mean seriously it’s been nearly 2 weeks! I’m sorry I have been letting the banana 🍌 side down. Joking aside this blog is a one-stop shop when it comes to banana recipes, it’s my favourite ingredient to use in baking. Apart from tasting amazing, they can naturally sweeten a recipe allowing for less sugar 👍 Which is always a good thing. And they do both perfectly in this Reduced Sugar Strawberry Banana Bread. 🍌❤️🍓
Reducing the Sugar.
When bananas are ripe and perfect for baking with they become super sweet which in the right recipe can allow you to reduce the sugar. Quick bread and Muffins are perfect for doing this in, as I have done so in this strawberry banana bread. Also, the strawberries that I used were super sweet and as the bread baked the strawberries on top went all jammy and extremely sweet, allowing me to reduce the sugar even more. There is only a total of 100 grams (1/2 cup) in this whole recipe. That’s only 10 grams, about 1/2 a tablespoon per slice, not bad for me. 😉 If you would like to try your hand at a sugar-free banana bread recipe, then I have the perfect one for you. But I found this one benefited from having a little sugar added to it.
Banana’s for Banana.
I don’t know why I am so crazy about baked banana goods. I eat fresh banana’s like they are going out of fashion so I always have a stock of them in the house. Occasionally the odd one does slip through the net and starts to go all speckled and a little too ripe for me to eat fresh. For some reason, I like to eat my fresh banana’s a little on the green side.
Although the speckled ones are perfect for baking loaves, bread, muffins and cakes, just like this strawberry banana bread. I think my love comes from my Nan, who always made a banana cake as a treat. I have made her recipe and shared it a few times on this blog, you can find the most recent version here. ‘My Nan’s Banana Cake‘.
So I guess we all have that one ingredient we are all slightly obsessed with. For some, it’s chocolate or caramel but for me it’s banana’s!
Reduced Sugar Strawberry Banana Bread
- 250 grams plain / all purpose flour (2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 100 grams granulated sugar (1/2 cup)
- 60 millilitres vegetable oil (1/4 cup)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 80 milliliters milk (1/3 cup)
- 2 medium sized medium bananas - mashed
- 200 grams fresh chopped strawberries (1 and 1/2 cups - once chopped)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Preheat your oven to 180C / 350F / Gas mark 4 and line or lightly grease a 2lb loaf tin.
- In a small mixing bowl mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and ground cinnamon together and place to one side.
- In a medium sized bowl mix the sugar, oil, eggs, vanilla, milk and mashed banana together until they are very well combined.
- Pour the flour mixture into the bowl of wet ingredients and with a gentle hand, fold it in.
- Toss the strawberries and the 1 tablespoon of flour together in the small mixing bowl that you had the flour mixture in and then gently fold them into the batter.
- Pour the batter into your prepared tin, flatten the top and pop it in the middle of your hot oven to bake.
- Check on your loaf after 45 minutes for doneness, if an inserted pick comes out clean then your bread is baked. If not give it a few more minutes.
- If you are worried of over browning your loaf then cover with a little tin foil.
- Once baked through leave to cool in the tin for 15 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to fully cool down.
- This bread is best eaten within 4 -5 days, keep it in an airtight tin in a cool temperature.
- This loaf freezes really well, either whole or in slices. It can be frozen for up to 3 months.