Because Halloween is just around the corner, yes I know its been a poor show on the blog this year. I am subliminally making more reduced sugar treats. Then of course Halloween is followed by two months of parties and pure indulgence. I feel like I am prepping my waistline for the onslaught with this Reduced Sugar Apple Banana Bread. I am not complaining about it because this bread is packed full of tart apple flavour, warming spices and of course sweet banana.
Apple & Spice
I used a big ol’ Brambly cooking apple for this recipe. They are tart in flavour and cook up wonderfully. But I have a feeling this may be a British thing, so if you have no access to brambly’s then any tart apple will do. I would recommend Granny Smiths as a replacement, just grate it up including the skin and throw it in.
I used a combination of cinnamon, allspice and a touch of nutmeg for this reduced sugar apple banana bread. All three spices imparted a lovely warming flavour to the bread. None of them were over powering and each one compliments all the flavours perfectly.
Like my last reduced sugar bread, Reduced Sugar Strawberry Banana Bread I halved the sugar from my more traditional banana breads and used fruits to sweeten it up. Even though the apple I used was tart it still imparts a natural sweetness to the bread. I even made this bread onetime using coconut sugar if you wish to step away from refined sugars all together. I preferred it with the light brown sugar I used as coconut sugar is not as sweet and I am a certified sugar addict. With either sugar I really did enjoy it. And because it really isn’t too sweet I had no guilty feeling filling my face with this reduced sugar apple banana bread for breakfast 😇🍏🍌
Everything else in this reduced sugar apple banana bread is as you would expect it to be. Flour, baking powder, baking soda, vanilla, milk, mashed banana and oil. I used olive oil but use a cheaper oil like vegetable, canola, rapeseed if it’s easier for you. Any type of plain flavourless light oil will do. Vegetable, rapeseed or canola oil will work perfectly. Other then that welcome to mine and hopefully your new breakfast obsession.
Reduced Sugar Apple Banana Bread
- 250 grams plain / all purpose flour (2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 100 grams light brown sugar (1/2 cup - lightly packed)
- 60 millilitres olive oil (1/4 cup)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 30 millilitres milk (1/8 cup)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 medium ripe bananas - mashed
- 1 large brambly apple - grated
- Preheat your oven to 180C / 350F / Gas mark 4 and lightly grease or line a 2 pound loaf tin. Place it to one side.
- In a small bowl add in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt. Gently whisk it all together until everything is well combined.
- In a larger mixing bowl add in the sugar, oil, vanilla, milk, eggs, mashed banana and grated apple and mix everything together.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and with a gentle hand mix until everything is combined.
- Pour the batter into your prepared tin and pop it into your hot oven.
- If you have a fast oven check your bread at the 40 to 45 minute mark. Insert a pick and if it comes out clean then your bread is done. If not pop it back into the oven for another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Once fully baked take you loaf out of the oven and allow it to sit in its hot tin for 10 minutes to firm up. Then take it out and place it on a wire rack to fully cool down to room temperature.
- Kept in an airtight tin this bread will be good for 4 to 5 days. This bread also freezes well and will keep for 3 months. Defrost thoroughly in the fridge overnight.