I know you have all had that dreaded moment when you find out you have to entertain a vegetarian! Being a virtual life long one I have often been on the receiving end of the panic made meal. Pasta with tomato sauce anyone? I spend half of my life on ships where I encounter the same problem 3 times a day. I have eaten so many cheese omelettes that I should have a page in the Guinness Book of Records dedicated to me. It’s gotten to the point where I can’t even look at one without feeling queasy! I have previously shared my Vegetarian Nut Roast with you and now I am going to share my super easy all in one vegetarian brunch with you 😀
This dish comes together in minutes is so simple to put together and if you cook it in an attractive dish you can serve it as it comes out the oven. Cutting down on washing up!
Everything in here is really good for you, you don’t need to be a vegetarian to enjoy this simple dish. A couple of large mushrooms, a large tomato a couple of handfuls of spinach and an egg a drop of oil and salt and pepper to season.
Another reason I love this dish so much and to some it might be a strange one, but it’s so colourful as well. Some vegetarian dishes can be a little dull looking on the plate but not this one it pops with colour. So next time you have the dreaded short notice vegetarian coming for breakfast or lunch give this dish a go, trust me they will be so happy not to have to face another omelette.
- 2 large mushrooms
- 1 large tomato
- a drop of olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 large handfuls of baby spinach
- 1 large egg
- Preheat your oven to 200C / 400F / Gas mark 6.
- Wash and peel your mushrooms and remove their stalks and rinse then half your tomato.
- Place them in a small sized oven proof dish and drizzle them with a drop of oil and lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Pop them in the oven for 10 minutes.
- While the mushrooms and tomato are in the oven give your spinach a rinse and place it is a medium saucepan with a tiny drop of oil and wilt. This should only take 2 to 3 minutes. Once done place to one side.
- After 10 minutes take your dish out of the oven arrange the spinach around the veg and crack an egg in the middle.
- Place your dish back into the oven and bake for a further 8 to 10 minutes depending on how you like your eggs. Then serve immediately.