My last post may have also been a lovely warming drink (Spicy Nutella Hot Chocolate) but when the colder weather starts to roll in there is nothing better than snuggling up in your pyjamas with the fire roaring on full blast and a hot drink in your hand. My non alcoholic apple cider is a fruity warming little spicy number to help keep the cold at bay.
A Little Spicy
All the spices in this drink are wintery warming spices, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and star anise. They combine to give this lovely apple juice a warming smooth flavour that you will not be able to resist. I haven’t used mass amounts of these spices in this drink but you can always up the amounts if you like your drink with a more fiery kick.
Perfect for Bonfire Night
If you are British then no doubt come November 5th you will be standing outside oohing and ahhing at some fireworks and possibly standing near a bonfire, this will be the perfect drink for you and your little ones to enjoy and keep warm with. If you are making this for an adult only party there is nothing to stop you adding in a little apple brandy to give it a little more flare 😉 but I really like the non alcoholic version as well it keeps it fully family friendly.
But you don’t have to just keep this for Bonfire Night, on any wintery night this will be a welcome addition to help keep you warm and you know what? It’s healthy too, I have not added in any additional sweeteners to this drink. My apple juice was 100% pressed apple and not from concentrate with no added sweeteners. If this is not sweet enough for you I would suggest adding a half teaspoon of honey or maple syrup to your cup. Try and keep the refined sugars at bay 😀
So lets welcome winter with open arms and a warm mug of apple cider 😀
Non Alcoholic Apple Cider
- 1 litre of good quality cloudy apple juice ((4 and 1/2 cups))
- 1 7.5 centermeter cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 whole star anise
- In a medium sized pan pour in your apple juice and add in your spices.
- Bring to a light boil over a medium heat.
- Then take off the heat, cover and leave to infuse for a minimum of 2 hours, leave for up to 4 hours if you want a spicier kick.
- Gently reheat your apple cider before you serve.
- Though best drunk fresh, kept in the fridge this cider will keep for 3 days.