I actually made this Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Cake for Christmas and just never got around to sharing it with you guys. But Michael and I enjoyed it so much I didn’t want it to go to waste and it never gets shared. I thought it would also make a great Valentines Day dessert to treat your honey with. 😍❤️😘
Just Throw It Together
The really great thing about this dessert is everything can be bought in advance for it and then just thrown together a few hours or even days or weeks in advance to give you an amazing cool smooth creamy dreamy minty chocolate dessert.
I mean seriously, who doesn’t love mint and chocolate together?
The base is mint Oreo’s pulsed down into crumbs with a little melted butter to hold it all together. If mint Oreo’s are too hard to find any mint chocolate cookie will do or even just chocolate cookie will do. Then a layer of after Eights is placed onto the base. Are After Eights available outside the UK? If not they are basically individual flat square chocolates with a soft mint centre. They are so good! If they are not available to you, then use any soft chocolate mint available too you.
Then add a generous layer of mint chocolate chip ice cream then a layer of chocolate frosting. Homemade or shop bought – no judging from this corner. Then another layer of ice cream followed by a bunch of mini mint chocolate matchsticks chopped up and thrown on top for good measure. Followed by a good drizzle of chocolate frosting.
You just pop it back in the freezer to harden up a little and serve when needed. This mint chocolate chip ice cream cake is perfect for the chocolate mint lover in your life.
I honestly do think ice cream cakes are the perfect treats. They can be assembled quickly and easily with shop bought ingredients or if you have the time and are feeling a little fancy then you can make the components from scratch. I have a wonderful recipe for homemade mint Oreo’s because until recently they were not available in the UK. I also have a really amazing recipe for homemade Mint Choc Chip Ice Cream which would be amazing in this recipe. And to bring it all together here is a recipe for homemade chocolate frosting.
Or be totally lazy like me and buy it all from the shop for a quick assembly 😜
Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Cake
- 2 packets mint Oreo's (28 cookies)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter - melted
- 200 grams After Eights Mints (Or any chocolate mint cream thins)
- 900 millilitre tub Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream (4 - 5 cups)
- 400 grams chocolate frosting (14 ounces)
- 150 grams mint matchmakers (hard mint chocolates)
- Take the ice cream out of the freezer and allow it to sit at room temperature to soften so it is easier to handle and line a 9 inch/22 centimetre springform tin with baking parchment and place to one side.
- After 10 minutes take your Oreo cookies and pulse them into fine crumbs in a food processor. If you don't own a food processor place the cookies in a sealed plastic bag and bash them with a rolling pin until they are fine crumbs.
- Melt the butter in a microwave for 20-30 seconds and stir it into the Oreo crumbs. Press the crumb mixture into the bottom of your lined tin and layer the After Eights on top of the base and pop it into your freezer for 10 minutes.
- Spoon half of your ice cream onto the base and spread it out evenly.
- Microwave your frosting for 15 seconds on high, just so it is a little more spreadable. Then pour 2/3rds of it over the ice cream.
- Then gently spread the remaining ice cream over the frosting.
- Chop up the matchmakers and sprinkle them all over the top and drizzle the remaining frosting over the top. Then cover the tin with some plastic wrap and place it back in the freezer for at least 2 hours.
- This Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Cake will keep in the freezer for 2 months.
- While this cake only takes 25 minutes to make there is a little more time needed for this cake. At least another 2 hours will be needed for the cake to harden up in the freezer.