I am still struggling to get through all the sweets / candy we bought into the house for the holidays. We could just sit down and eat it all like a couple of pigs while watching a few movies, but that would be pure gluttony!
Instead I am using it up slowly in my baking, so of course its far less glutinous to eat it when its wrapped up in cake!!! I know that sounds crazy but its easier to give away cakes and bakes to friends and family then to give them half eaten boxes of sweets.
Thats where these Mint Chocolate Chip Blondies come into play.
I have to be honest these kind of freaked Michael out, he really enjoyed them but thought they should be a dark chocolate colour. I explained to him they had white chocolate drinking powder in them and he could taste it but he still felt they should be a brown chocolate colour.
These came about because I had a jar of white chocolate drinking powder, which I found a little sickly when I drank it. But I am the queen of recycling, I absolutely hate food waste, so had to find a way to use it up.
These are pretty much my go to quick fudgy brownie recipe but with the cocoa taken out and replaced with white chocolate drinking powder. The white chocolate flavour is very mild and more of an after taste. The main flavour is a minty goodness 😀
I have seen many American recipes using mint chocolate chips, I have hunted high and low and I can’t find them here in the UK. So to get around this issue I chop up a box of mint matchmakers. Boxes are 130 grams I used 100 grams in this recipe and munched the other 30 grams 😀 Once chopped up they equaled 1 cup for my American friends who can just go and buy mint chocolate chips.
I am sure any mint chocolate bars could be used but matchmakers cut into small chunks / chips perfectly.
- 130 grams Plain flour (All Purpose), (1 cup)
- 55 grams white chocolate drinking powder, (1/2 cup)
- 100 grams light brown sugar, (1/2 cup packed)
- 125 grams granulated sugar, (1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon)
- 160 millilitres vegetable oil, (2/3 cup)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 100 grams mint chocolate chips, (1/2 cup)
- Preheat your oven to 180C / 350F / Gas mark 4 and line a 9x9 inch square tin with baking parchment, then place to one side.
- If like me you are using mint matchmakers for you mint chocolate chips then either break them up by hand or cut them up into small chocolate chip size pieces.
- In a large mixing bowl add in the flour, white chocolate drinking powder, both sugars and mix everything together.
- Pour in the vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla extract. Mix everything until just combined.
- Gently fold in your mint chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan and pop it in the middle of your preheated oven.
- After 20 minutes, check on your blondie. You are looking for the edges to be set but the middle to have a very slight wobble. If it is still too runny leave in the oven for another 5 minutes.
- Once baked take the pan out of your oven and leave to fully cool down to room temperature.
- Once cool, take the blondie out of the pan and peel of any remaining parchment paper, place on a flat surface and cut into 12 squares.
- These will keep at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 5 days.