We have now hit the end of my breakfast bonanza and its recipe 7 of the ‘7 breakfasts for 7 days’ recipe challenge set by Arla UK. And today I am sharing with you Lactose and Gluten Free Overnight Chocolate Cherry Oats. A lovely chocolaty treat to end the week on. This is suitable for the celiacs / gluten sensitives and those that suffer from lactose intolerance. So hands up for the food safe luxury dish to end the week on and grab a spoon (preferably large) and dig in to a helping of lactose and gluten free overnight chocolate cherry oats.
I have quite a few recipes for overnight oats on this blog, I am a huge fan of them. Super simple to make and the flavour profiles are endless. At the very basic all you need are some oats and some milk or yogurt. Any flavour will work.
To make this dish all chocolaty I used Arla’s LactoFree Chocolate Milk and a dash of Sweet Freedoms Liquid Chocolate ChocShot. Both of these products are safe for lactose intolerant people as are the chocolate chips I used, they are dairy free. (Everything is also gluten safe – please check your labels if you are making this for sufferers).
To make sure every bite is a chocoholics dream we soak the oats overnight in the chocolate milk and choc shot. To make the flavour a little more intense I added a teaspoon of instant espresso. Coffee really does help to deepen and intensify chocolate flavours. But if you are making this for kids then by all means feel free to leave the coffee out.
Because these are milk based overnight oats and not yogurt based oats to thicken them up I used some chai seeds. Packed full of good things for you and a great thickener for dishes like these. Their flavour happily compliments the chocolate oats perfectly.
Adding a fruity twist
To make these overnight oats even better I have added cherries to the mix. I tried the fruit 2 different ways. Once exclusively with frozen cherries and once with fresh cherries. Both worked well but both have their drawbacks.
Frozen first – easy and cheap. You simply add in the frozen cherries at night when you mix every thing together and leave them to defrost overnight. Then in the morning just give them a quick mash with a fork and they are good to go. The down side is with any frozen fruit sometimes it can be a little tart and additional sweeteners need to be added and they are not super pretty but if presentation is not an issue then go for it and you can enjoy all year round.
Fresh second – you can test for sweetness straight away and they do look more attractive as well. Nothing beats in season fruit. Sweet and crisp it will add something special to every dish it is in. Downsides can be expense, you need to de-stone them and it’s a tad more work in the evening.
As as you can see both have their + and – I used fresh here as they are a little more photogenic and I need all the help I can get when it comes to photography 😀 so I hope you enjoy these lactose and gluten free overnight chocolate cherry oats as much as I did.
So that’s the end of all this breakfast madness, I hope I managed to inspire a few of you to think a little outside of the box when it comes to breakfast foods. Happy breakfasting everyone 🙂
Lactose and Gluten Free Overnight Chocolate Cherry Oats
- 50 grams gluten free oats (1/2 cup)
- 360 millilitres Arla LactoFree Chocolate milk (1 and 1/2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons chocolate syrup (I used SweetFreedoms Choc Shot)
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso (optional)
- 4 tablespoons chai seeds
- 25 cherries - fresh or frozen
- 4 tablespoon dairy free mini chocolate chips (optional)
- The night before in a medium sized mixing bow add in the oats, chocolate milk, chocolate syrup, instant espresso if using and the chai seeds. Give everything a really good mixing.
- If using fresh cherries de-stone them and give them a mash up with a fork, keep them lumpy and stir them into your mixture. If you are using frozen cherries throw them straight into your mixture then cover the bowl and place it in the fridge until you want them for breakfast the following morning.
- Give it all a really good stir, and if you used frozen cherries be sure to give those cherries a little bash to break them down into big juicy lumps.
- Divide between 2 bowls and sprinkle the mini chocolate chips over the top if you are using them and add a few fresh cherries on top for a bit of colour.
- Will keep in the fridge covered for up to 3 days.
This Lactose and Gluten Free Overnight Chocolate Cherry Oats post is sponsored but I can assure you all opinions are my own and this is not a sales pitch and I am making no money from these posts. The ingredients were given to me to develop the recipes.
Recipes from earlier in the campaign.
Recipe 1 of 7
Recipe 2 of 7
Recipe 3 of 7
Recipe 4 of 7
Recipe 5 of 7
Recipe 6 of 7