With my favourite holiday Halloween just around the corner it’s time to get creative and have fun with your food. I love this holiday for all of its silliness and all the sugary goodness you can eat. I wanted to have a play around with something savoury for my favourite holiday this time, and I love a good cheese ball so why not a Halloween one? That is where this Jack O Lantern cheese ball idea came from.
Cheese, Cheese and more Cheese!
Cheese is one of my weaknesses I can eat it by the handful, about the only thing that stops me is how many calories are in it. But every now and again you have to throw caution to the wind and just enjoy it with all its calories 😉
This cheese ball consists mainly of a full fat soft cream cheese; I used Philadelphia with some mature grated cheddar added into the mix. To spice it up a little and add a little more flavour I added some minced onion, salt and pepper and some sweet chilli sauce to the mix. The sweet chilli sauce is optional but highly recommended, I only used 2 tablespoons so it doesn’t make it too spicy but it does give it a lovely little kick.
To give this more of a Jack O Lantern look I used cheese-flavoured tortilla chips broken up into small pieces and used them as a covering. I also used a yellow bell pepper for the eyes and mouth and coloured it in with a black food pen, but use whatever you like for the eyes or mouth or leave them off all together, the stem is also from the yellow pepper.
This is just a delicious silly little thing to enjoy this Halloween, so grab your chips and start digging in.
Jack O Lantern Cheese Ball
- 3 tablespoons minced onion
- 450 grams full fat cream cheese ((two 8 ounce packs))
- 200 grams mature cheddar cheese - grated ((1 and 1/2 cups))
- 2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
- 15 cheese tortilla chips
- 1 yellow bell pepper - saving the stalk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mince a small onion to get around 3 tablespoons. If you don’t have the equipment to mince then just very finely grate it.
- Put the cream cheese, minced onion and sweet chilli sauce into a large mixing bowl and mix until everything is really well combined.
- Form the cheese into a ball with a flattened bottom, so it looks like a pumpkin. Then chill until firm, around 2 hours should do it.
- Before serving crush up your tortilla chips until they are smashed into pretty small crumbs and then roll your cheese ball in them until fully covered.
- Press the pepper stalk into the top and if using cut eye and mouth shapes out of the pepper and gently push them into the cheese ball and if desired colour them in black with an edible food pen.
- Serve and delight your guests!