What could be better than a dessert that only takes 7 minutes to make? No, we can not count the eternal wish of the tasty zero calorie dessert. Well, the answer is Individual Microwave Apple Pear Crumbles. A perfect quick fix when that sweet craving kicks in but you actually don’t want to have too much sugar. Packed full of fruit, and a buttery sweet crumble topping and did I mention it only takes 7 minutes to make?
I reckon if you take out all the peanut butter recipes, then this blog consists mainly of fruit recipes. I love fruit, its natures candy. Now I can’t lie. I love fruit because it is so sweet, let’s be honest at the end of the day it is still packed full of sugar. But and here is the but, we can be all smug and righteous about it because its a naturally occurring sugar. Or can we?
In the UK there is a huge government campaign for all children and adults to consume 5 portions of fruit and veg a day. Funnily enough, it’s the 5 a day campaign! I never said it was clever. But there has been a recent shift in the thinking. That it should now be 3 portions of veg a day and only 2 portions of fruit a day. They even label fruit with sugar labels. Do you guys have the traffic light indicators on food in your countries?
A quick detour.
It’s actually a good idea, it tells you about, fats, salts, carbs and sugar in the food you are about to enjoy. At a quick glance, you can gauge if a food is bad for you or at least something you should only consume as a treat. Why pizza is all red I have no idea…..lol. The reason I bring this up is that I am a total fruit addict. I am trying to snack on more veg and less fruit now because of this campaign. The great thing about these individual microwave apple pear crumbles is if you have gotten to the end of the day and are running a little short. Then bam you can enjoy 2 of your 5 a day. In themselves, these little treats are actually pretty healthy. The refined sugar is limited, but the natural sugars do keep it pretty sweet.
I shall stop boring you with these educational food tips now and get back to these individual microwave apple pear crumbles. The topping is your basic crumble mixture, just in greatly reduced amounts. A little flour, sugar, butter and a pinch of cinnamon to bring it all together. The combination of the fruit and topping make a lovely quick dessert. I didn’t serve these with anything else, but some custard or a lovely vanilla ice cream would fancy them right up.
Individual Microwave Apple Pear Crumbles
- 1 medium-sized firm dessert apple (I used a Granny Smith - peeled, cored and chopped into cubes.)
- 1 medium-sized firm pear - peeled (cored and chopped into cubes.)
- Pinch of ground cinnamon.
- 1/2 teaspoon unsalted butter.
- 2 and 1/2 tablespoons plain (all purpose flour.)
- 1/2 tablespoon light brown sugar.
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter.
- Pinch salt.
- Peel, core and chop your apple and pear up into medium-sized chunks and place in a large mug.
- Sprinkle over a pinch of ground cinnamon and lightly toss the fruit.
- Place the 1/2 teaspoon of butter over the fruit and cover with clingfilm/plastic wrap. Pearce, it several times. Cook in the microwave on high for 2 minutes at 800 watts or 1 minute 30 seconds at 1000 watts. Carefully peel back the clingfilm/plastic wrap and pour off any excess liquid.
- While that is cooking in a small dessert bowl, add in the flour, sugar, cinnamon, butter and salt. With your fingertips mix until it looks like lumpy sand.
- Then crumble this mixture on top of your fruit in your mug.
- Recover with the pierced clingfilm/plastic wrap and cook for a further 2 minutes at 800 watts or 1 minute 30 seconds at 1000 watts.
- Peel of the clingfilm/plastic wrap and leave to stand for at least 1 minute then serve. Best eaten immediately.