This is the worlds easiest recipe. Its hardly a recipe at all, its more an easy kitchen hack than anything else. This Homemade Slow Cooker Spicy Apple Sauce is easy to put together, sugar free and has a load of different uses. Once your apples are chopped you stick them in you slow cooker and 7 hours later you have pure apple sauce.
The cinnamon is not strictly necessary I just fancied giving it a little Autumnal twist and it made a nice change. Usually I keep it plain and it is so versatile, it goes great with yogurt, oatmeal, granola, porridge and is a great ingredient in cakes and other bakes.
I love having this in my fridge as I use apple sauce a lot in baking and it has nothing in it but apples and water. No added sugars or anything nasty hiding in it from the manufacture its all pure and good for you and its so easy to make!
Its so easy in fact there really is no need to peel or core the apples. You can if you want to, but all I did was chop them up into 8th’s or quarters will do and chucked them in the slow cooker with the water. After it was made I passed the sauce through a fine mesh strainer using a rubber spatula and hey presto smooth apple sauce. If you don’t own a strainer then by all means peel and core your apples to make your life a little easier at the end. Either method works well.
Homemade Slow Cooker Spicy Apple Sauce
- 6 medium sized dessert apples
- 120 millilitres water (1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Chop the apple into 8th's. Its not necessary to core or peel them but you can if you want to. Place them into your slow cooker.
- Add in your water.
- Turn your slow cooker onto low.
- After 6 hours stir the apples, they should all break down at this point into a sauce. Add in the ground cinnamon and cook for a further 1 hour.
- If you didn't core and peel your apples (I didn't!) you are going to need to strain your sauce through a fine mesh sieve. Push the sauce through using a rubber spatular.
- Store your apple sauce in a sealed container in the fridge and use within 2 weeks.
- You can freeze this sauce, use within 3 months.
What a terrific idea! I’m going to make a huge batch when my MIL visits. The house will smell SO wonderful!!
Hi Liz, it does smell wonderful 😀
This looks delish – I’m already imagining how good it would be on porridge. That you didn’t need to peel/core the apple first makes it even better 🙂
Hi Natalie, thank you. I love it on porridge it’s a great start to the day 😀 I am all for lazy kitchen hacks why peel / core when you can just strain it? 😀
I LOVE adding cinnamon to applesauce! This version sounds just wonderful!
Hi Ashley, thank you 🙂
Love slow cooker recipes, and this apple sauce looks incredibly delicious! I love the spices in here. So good.
Hi Anu thank you the cinnamon in here is really good 😀
Love that you made this in a slow cooker; it’s come out a really lovely orangey colour.
I adore using my slow cooker it totally lazy cooking but with good results 😀
I made 2 large jars of applesauce with cinnamon and ginger yesterday too, but I must say that yours has a better texture and consistency, Emma.
Hi Angie, thank you I am sure yours was perfect 😀