This year I have gone a bit mad for homemade granola recipes. I have so far made Peanut Butter granola, Tropical granola I have even made Sunflower Seeds granola bars and now I am sharing this amazing homemade Nutella granola.
I just love homemade granola. I can control what goes into it and how much sugar is added. So many of the so called ‘healthy’ store bought granolas are packed with mass amounts of sugar and sweeteners. This granola only has 3 tablespoons of honey and 1 tablespoon of light brown sugar added to it. Yes I know the Nutella has sugar added to it, but this recipe only has 75 grams (1/4 cup) of Nutella in it. Spread that across the servings which is about 6, then you are only looking at 12.5 grams per serving. That is not a lot of sugar 😀
Nuts about Nuts
This recipe is not for those who either suffer from a nut allergy or those who are not fans of nuts. I know……. who doesn’t love nuts? Crunchy, tasty and packed full of heart healthy fats and packed full of vitamins.
I added a generous 150 grams (1 cup) of whole mixed nuts to this lovely granola. Making sure there were loads of hazelnuts included to boost that Nutella flavour even more. You could add just hazelnuts but I like a little variety in my granola.
Chocolate For Breakfast
As expected this granola will turn the milk all chocolaty and trick you into thinking you are having a really naughty breakfast 😉 I usually am not a fan of chocolate cereals but this stuff I go mad for!
I also really enjoyed eating this granola as a snack while watching a movie and I also served some up with a rich creamy Greek yogurt as part of a healthier dessert with some raspberry compote and it was amazing. So don’t just limit yourself to breakfast to enjoy your granola 😀
Homemade Nutella Granola
- 55 grams quinoa ((1/4 cup))
- 100 grams rolled oats ((1 cup))
- 75 grams Nutella ((1/4 cup))
- 3 tablespoons clear runny honey
- 1 tablespoon light soft brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 150 grams mixed whole nuts ((1 cup))
- Preheat your oven to 160C / 325F / Gas mark 3 and get a medium sized non stick or very lightly greased baking tray to hand.
- Using a fine mesh sieve rinse your quinoa for a minute or two under cold water drain and place to one side.
- Measure out you rolled oats and pour them in a large mixing bowl and add your quinoa and stir till well combined.
- In a microwavable jug or bowl gently heat the Nutella, honey, light brown sugar and cinnamon for 60 to 90 seconds until it is all runny and mixes well together.
- Pour it over the rolled oats and quinoa and mix until everything is covered.
- Spread the oats out on your baking sheet. Try to keep them all lumpy and clumped together.
- Pop the tray in your preheated oven initially for 15 minutes. Once the 15 minutes are up take your granola from the oven and give it a stir. Then return it to the oven for another 15 minutes.
- Take it out of the oven and allow it to cool down to room temperature. This is where it will really crisp up.
- Once it has fully cooled down mix in your nuts and store in an airtight container and consume within two weeks