Healthy Creamy Sweet and Savoury Avocado Berry Salad was originally published on 14 June 2014 but I wanted to reshare, as its a wonderful salad to enjoy as we watch Summer disappear into Autumn. Bring on the pumpkin recipes…lol
I know summer is coming to the end, in Scotland at least! But I just love love, LOVE salad season. Its healthy, quick to put together and you can pretty much add whatever you want. After all, it is your salad. That’s pretty much how this Healthy Creamy Sweet and Savoury Avocado Berry Salad came about. I just kept adding things then taking things away and now it’s just perfect.
And it’s all healthy too, there is nothing in here to frighten your waistline at all. The dressing is made with Quark. Not heard of Quark? This stuff is amazing, it’s a German cream cheese that is basically fat-free! While a little bland on its own it makes a great base for sauces and dressings. Should you have any difficulty finding Quark in your corner of the world, then try it with any fat-free cream cheese. It may slightly alter the flavour but I am sure it won’t be noticeable.
The whole salad is smothered in a creamy dreamy avocado ‘pesto’. Not really a pesto in the strictest sense of the word but its still an amazing dressing. So every bite has a smooth creamy flavour to it. There is nothing too odd in this dressing, just avocado, Quark, extra virgin olive oil, some fresh basil leaves, a squeeze of lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. A quick blitz in your food processor and hey presto dressing made.
Apart from being super colourful, summer berries are sweet and juicy giving this salad a perfect summery pick-me-up. And who wants to eat a boring salad when you can have it packed full of sweet strawberries, crunchy grapes, sweet blueberries and ever so slightly tart raspberries (my absolute favourite!)
To give this salad it’s savoury flavours I used cherry tomatoes, more avocado and some crunchy mange tout beans. These super crunchy beans add a lovely contrasting texture to the whole salad. I also sprinkled a little feta cheese over the top, the small bursts of saltines really set the whole thing off. How much you use is really down to personal preference.
You could add olives, cucumber, chopped nut’s or any other number of things but I have found this to be the perfect combination of flavours and textures.
So what is stopping you from giving this Healthy Creamy Sweet and Savoury Avocado Berry Salad a go? Nothing I hope because it really is just like summer in a bowl 😀
Healthy Creamy Sweet and Savoury Avocado Berry Salad
- 250 grams pasta spirals (2 and 1/2 cups)
- 2 large ripe avocado's
- 65 grams Quark cream cheese (1/4 cup)
- 3 tablespoons extra vigin olive oil
- 4 large fresh basil leaves + extra for garnish
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- salt & pepper to taste
- 12 mange tout beans - halved
- 125 grams red seedless grapes - halved (1/2 cup)
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 50 grams blueberries (1/3 cup)
- 12 raspberries
- 5 large strawberries - quartered
- Feta cheese to garnish
- Bring a medium-sized pan of water to a rolling boil and pour in the pasta spirals. Bring the water back to the boil then lower it to medium heat and boil for another 10 minutes.
- This will give you an l'dente pasta if you like it a little softer cook for another few minutes.
- While your pasta is cooking, we will get the rest of the salad together.
- In a food processor add in 1 and 1/2 of your avocados, the Quark, extra virgin olive oil, the 4 fresh basil leaves, them lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. Pulse until you have a smooth paste. This should only take a minute or two.
- Prep all your fruit and veg, wash, dry and cut everything up into halves and quarters for the strawberries and place to one side until your pasta is ready. Not forgetting to use up your remaining avocado half.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain it and run it under cold water for a few minutes to cool it right down. Leave it to drain for a minute.
- Get a large serving bowl out and pour in the pasta, then cover it with the 'pesto' and give it a gentle stir. Add in all your chopped fruit and veggies give another gentle mix.
- Sprinkle the top with some feta cheese and some more basil leaves which have been torn up, then serve.
- 1. To store this salad keep it tightly covered within the fridge and consume within 3 days. The avocado will slightly discolour over time.
- 2. Leave the salad out at room temperature for 10 minutes before serving so it is not so cold.
I bet the avocado pairs soooo well with those spirals!
Thanks, GiGi 😀
I am speechless about the combination of ingredients. I have to try this recipe! Great work, Emma!
Thanks Agness 😀
I can’t get enough of salads and pesto. Love the avocado pesto! It looks so fresh and delicious with the berries and tomatoes!
Hi Kelly, thank you the berries in this salad just made everything else pop! 😀
Love the sound of this, would be so nice to take to work for lunch.
Thank you 😀 this dish is perfect for packed lunches I enjoyed it the next day!
This sounds delicious Emma! Berries and avocado are a dream summer combination for me so I love the idea of having both in a salad – it looks beautiful with all of the colours too 🙂
Hi Natalie, thank you everything just pairs so well and I do love a splash of colour in my food 😀
I’ve never made a berry salad with avocado but after looking at this, I question my sanity. It’s beautiful.
Hi Maureen, thank you 😀 they really do pair very well!
This is so my kind of dish! I just made a similar sort of avocado “pesto” the other day for dinner and we loved it! So I know I would love this!
Hi Ashley, avocado’s make a great “pesto/dressing” for salads its healthy & creamy! 😀
What a marvelous salad! I love that you added avocados to the mix—a delicious combination@
Hi Liz, thank you so much 😀
We eat avocado almost every day and I always look for new recipes to try this magic fruit. Your salad looks fabulous!
Hi Angie, thank you. I too am completely binging on avocados at the moment 😀
Any recipe with avocado in it and you have my attention. Loving this Summer happy harvest salad!
Hi Pamela, thank you I too love anything with avocado in it!