Don’t you just love it when something half planned comes together and becomes your new favourite thing in the whole wide world? That is what happened with this Easy Fruit & Yogurt Healthy Breakfast Tart. It started off as a bit of an experiment and now it has become my favourite breakfast of all time. Its sweet, soft and crunchy all at once, packed full of healthy fats and protein to keep you fuller for longer. Did I mention healthy? Oh and its naturally gluten free. This really is a great breakfast, that easily doubles as a healthy snack, lunchtime treat or dessert.
Lets talk crust.
The crust on this healthy breakfast tart is absolutely amazing! Now I know we all say that when we bake something and then share it over the internet but I really, really, really mean it this time. 2 simple ingredients come together to make a healthy, nutritious, protein packed crust. Dried apricots and pecan nuts, yep that’s it. Just those 2 simple ingredients blitzed together in a food processor creates this delicious sticky, crunchy and sweet crust.
Now if apricots aren’t your thing you can always try dates, sultanas or any other dried fruit that takes your fancy. I am not sure what it will taste like or the exact measurements but I am sure it would be great. But if you can, try and use apricots as they are perfectly sweet and just so tasty.
After the crust has spent a little time in the cold its time for the filling. Firstly I spread a thin layer of reduced sugar blackcurrant jam on the base. If blackcurrant isn’t your thing or you just can’t find it blueberry jam would work just fine. I used a reduced sugar jam to help keep this a healthy breakfast tart instead of a sugary breakfast tart. You can leave the jam out all together if you want to reduce the calories even more. I like the jam as it adds flavour and a hint of sweetness and it compliments the crust, yogurt and fresh fruit perfectly. I then spread a layer of 0% fat Greek yogurt over the jam and I topped it with fresh fruit.
Breakfast of Champions.
So this healthy breakfast tart is easy to make, it only requires a few ingredients and its no bake and its naturally gluten free. So its an all round winner. I know you will love this tart as much as I do.
- 400 grams dried apricots (2 cups)
- 180 grams pecans (1 and ½ cups)
- 3 tablespoons reduced sugar blackcurrant jam
- 260 grams 0% fat Greek yogurt (1 cup)
- 6 strawberries - sliced
- 1 peach - sliced
- 8 cherries - halved
- 3 plums - sliced
- In a food processor pulse your dried apricots and pecans until everything is well combined and everything has clumped together to form a ball.
- Pat the crust into an even layer in an 8 inch pie dish and then place it in the fridge for 15 minutes to chill and harden up a little.
- Once the chilling time is up spread the jam over the base of your crust and then top it with your yogurt and place it back in the fridge.
- Wash and slice up your fruit and arrange it on the top of your tart.
- This tart is ready to serve immediately, kept in the fridge this tart will be good for 3 days.
Any thick yogurt will work as will any flavour. I've always got 0% fat Greek yogurt in my fridge, but any Greek style yogurt will work as any flavour would too. Again I used a 0% fat yogurt to help keep this tart healthy.
The combination of fruit is completely up to you, these fruits are just what I had in the fridge and are my late summer favourites. Any fresh fruit will work in its place.