With everything going on of late, I have been making quick and easy recipes that are practical, healthy and above all tasty. Whenever I am busy, I always have a tendency to reach for junk food. Its quick and easy but it never really satisfies in the long run. Not like this Healthy Baked Mixed Berry Oatmeal, which is so easy to make, satisfying and tasty. This healthy baked mixed berry oatmeal makes a great weekend breakfast. A brilliant grab and go breakfast and actually quite a nice healthy dessert.
Breakfast or Dessert.
This healthy baked mixed berry oatmeal works great for breakfast, dessert or as a healthy snack. Packed full of oats and fruit this dish is hearty enough to satisfy your hunger and any sweet craving you may have. I have enjoyed it warmed up for breakfast, cold as a mid-afternoon snack and served with some Greek yoghurt for dessert.
There is very little added in the way of sweeteners. There are 2 tablespoons of light agave nectar and 3 teaspoons of Truvia sweetener added. You can replace this with sugar if you wish to, or any granulated sweetener of your choice. I like Truvia because at least it is natural and not artificial, and has zero calories! Which is always a bonus.
There is also a mashed banana mixed in with all the oats, it is best to use a ripe banana as it will impart more sweetness. The more brown spots the better, also ripe juicy berries are packed full of natural sweetness. I used a combination of strawberries, raspberries and blueberries.
Oats and everything else.
Obviously, there are oats but there are a few other things which help to give this healthy baked mixed berry oatmeal its lovely flavour and texture. Along with the mashed banana and agave nectar we have unsweetened almond milk. Any milk of choice will work, an egg and some vanilla extract. Dry ingredients are cinnamon, a pinch of salt, a small amount of Truvia and a touch of baking powder, to help give it a small lift.
Pretty much any fruit can be used in this kind of dish. I just love the combination of berries, it makes me think of warmer summer days that will hopefully be arriving very soon. Fingers crossed 😀
Healthy Baked Mixed Berry Oatmeal
- 150 grams rolled oats (1 and 1/2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons Truvia
- 300 millilitres unsweetened almond milk (1 and 1/4 cups)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons light agave nectar
- 1 medium banana - mashed
- 5 large strawberries - sliced
- 70 grams raspberries (1/2 cup)
- 90 grams blueberries (6/8 cup)
- Preheat your oven to 170C/325F/Gas mark 3 and line the bottom of a square 8x8 inch tin with baking parchment.
- Scatter half of your fruit over the bottom of the tin and place to one side.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, add in the oats, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and granulated sweetener. Mix it all together.
- In a large jug add in the milk, egg, vanilla extract, agave nectar and mashed banana and mix until you have a smooth batter.
- Pour the liquid ingredients over the oats and mix everything together until everything is well combined.
- Pour the batter over your fruit and then scatter the remaining fruit over the top and pop your tin in the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- You are looking for your for your baked oatmeal to have turned a lovely golden colour and be springy to the touch.
- This baked oatmeal is best kept in the fridge and eaten within 3 days.