Scotland is so cold, I have had to dig out all my gloves, hats and scarves just to try and stay warm on my way to work in the morning. The frost has already landed and snow has been predicted to arrive soon. And cold weather means one thing, warm comforting desserts are now on the table and this Gluten Free Vegan Apple Pear Crisp is an easy tasty one to have.
Baby its cold outside…
Its not only Scotland that is being visited early by Jack Frost I have seen pictures of cities all over Europe, that have been covered in snow. While the frost and snow is lovely in theory its not so nice when you have to travel to work in it. But saying that, it is a great excuse to get the warm comforting desserts ready and on the table.
So what we have here is dessert apples and pears as the main fruit in this crisp, with a few cheeky dried cranberries thrown in to the mix. The apples are sweet and crisp and the pears are sweet and juicy the cranberries add a little colour, texture and taste. The fruit is then swimming in a sweet and sticky cinnamon sauce and to top it all off we have a gluten free crispy oaty topping. Now what more do you want in a dessert than all this? I promise you this gluten free vegan apple pear crisp will not disappoint you in any way. It’s so easy to put together as well and that is always a bonus.
Don’t fear the coconut.
It will seem as though there is a lot of coconut ingredients in this gluten free vegan apple pear crisp, coconut sugar, coconut flour and coconut oil. But I promise you the coconut flavour in this dish is so incredibly mild, most people don’t even realise it’s in the mix. So don’t worry it will be our little secret 😉
Gluten Free Vegan Apple Pear Crisp
- Cold water & pinch salt
- 3 medium sized dessert apples
- 2 large pears
- 40 grams dried cranberries (1/3 cup)
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 95 grams gluten free oats (1 cup)
- 35 grams coconut flour (1/3 cup)
- 35 grams coconut sugar (1/4 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 45 grams coconut oil - melted (1/4 cup)
- Preheat your oven to 190C / 375F / Gas mark 5 and lightly grease a 20cm / 8-inch pie dish.
- Get a medium sized bowl and half fill it with cold water and stir in a pinch of salt.
- Peel, core and slice up your apples and pears. Pop the slices in your cold lightly salted water to help keep them white.
- Once all of your fruit is ready drain the water out of the bowl and add in the cranberries.
- Sprinkle over the coconut sugar, cornflour (cornstarch) and cinnamon and toss the fruit until it all has a light covering of sugar, cornflour and spice. Pour the coated fruit into your pie dish.
- To save on dishes wipe the bowl the fruit was in with a kitchen paper towel to dry it up and clean it a little. There is no need for it to be spotless.
- Throw your oats, coconut flour and sugar, cinnamon and allspice in to the bowl and lightly toss it all together.
- Pour in your melted coconut oil and stir so all of the oats have a light covering.
- Sprinkle the oaty topping all over the top of the fruit and pop the crisp into your hot oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until the topping is a light golden colour and the fruit is lightly bubbling and piping hot.
- This can be served alone or with a little vegan ice cream.
- Any leftovers can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days, when reheating make sure all food is piping hot. This dish can be enjoyed hot or cold.