This is a bit of a double use post; firstly this is a great wholesome breakfast come winter there is always a huge jar of this in my kitchen. It’s quick and easy to whip up for a quick warming hearty breakfast that will keep you easily going till lunchtime.
Secondly this fruit and nut porridge makes a really good foodie gift when a little time is taken to layer the ingredients up and given to the recipient in a pretty jar and if you are feeling a little traditional a spurtle can be gifted with it.
I feel I am getting a few strange looks from the non-Scots reading this post. Well it’s a kitchen tool dating from the 15th century for stirring oatmeal; it stops it from congealing and becoming lumpy.
There is nothing too unusual in this delicious mix; you will no doubt have most of these ingredients in your cupboards already and if you don’t there is nothing here that is overly expensive.
Oats, chopped pecans, you could use walnuts, cashews, brazils or mixed nuts, non-fat milk powder to help make it a little creamier, a little brown sugar to sweeten it up some cinnamon and a pinch of salt. Oat bran and some dried fruit. I used a combination of apricots, dates, figs and pear. You can use anything you like, cranberries, cherries, apple you name it you could put it in here. And some raisins are added for even more of a fruity hit.
If you have a porridge lover in your life then this would make a lovely Christmas gift.
The flavour combinations are endless here, chuck a bit of whatever you fancy in here. Just keep the base ingredients the same and you will be fine. Keep the oats, oat bran, sugar, powdered milk and experiment to your hearts content.
I have also given you a little gift card to go with this, if you wish to give it as a gift, feel free to use it but as you can tell I am no graphical master and I am sure you can do better than me 😀
You won’t believe how quick, easy and tasty this lovely fruit and nut porridge is.
So let me know what your favourite flavour combination is I’d love to know I’m always looking for new flavour combinations to try.
Fruit and Nut Porridge
A lovely warming breakfast treat also makes a lovely foodie gift for the porridge lover in your life.
- 200 grams rolled oats, (2 cups)
- 65 grams coarsely chopped pecans, (1/2 cup)
- 65 grams non-fat dry milk powder, (2/3 cup)
- 60 grams brown sugar, (1/4 cup packed)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 40 grams oat bran, (1/3 cup)>
- 110 grams dried fruit - I used apricots, pear, figs and dates, (1/2 cup)
- 50 grams raisins, (1/4 cup)
- Preheat your oven to 180C / 350F / Gas mark 4.
- Spread your oats and nuts on a baking sheet and pop them in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring twice.
- Take it out of the oven and allow it to fully cool down. Then divide it into 2 equal batches.
- In a large jar (I used a 1 Litre Kilner jar) start to layer your ingredients starting with one of the halves of oats and nuts mix.
- Followed by the non-fat milk powder, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, oat bran, dried fruit, raisins then top with the remaining half of the oats and nuts mix.
- This mix will stay fresh for up to one month.