It may be coming to the end of the all-glorious pumpkin season. But that doesn’t mean we can’t squeeze another pumpkin recipe, or two in before we all move on to peppermint and gingerbread. Easy Pumpkin Loaf Cake is the perfect recipe to start winding down pumpkin season with. It’s easy to make, the ingredients are all pantry staples and its damn delicious.
Sugar & Spice and all things nice!
One thing that I think we can all agree on is that pumpkin has a few natural partners in baking. Brown sugar is one of them, I do like to try and reduce sugar in my bakes when possible but I found with this one I still needed some to give it the perfect texture. I used light brown unrefined sugar to sweeten this easy pumpkin loaf cake as I find it imparts a richer flavour than white granulated sugar. And it does help to keep this cake moist. I kept the amount as low as I could 150g (3/4 cup) in total.
As for the spices, the usual suspects are found in here. Cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg, they all help to give this easy pumpkin loaf cake a lovely warming spicy flavour.
I have used melted then cooled unsalted butter, which is quite unusual for me in this kind of recipe. I usually use oil as my main fat for loaves, but I found I prefer the crumb of this cake when butter and in particular melted butter was used. It gave it a tighter more cake-like crumb. Because of its cake-like quality, I had to chuck the word cake in the title somewhere!
But that doesn’t stop me enjoying it like a loaf and smearing butter on each slice!!! Hey, I never made any claims that this was a healthy recipe because like anything it must be enjoyed in moderation.
If you are a fan of all things pumpkin and wish to grab a few more ideas before the season is up then head over to my friend’s at The Hip Horticulturist Blog for a pumpkin recipe round-up. They were kind enough to include my Peanut Butter Pumpkin Fruity Breakfast Bake on their list. There are some other amazing looking pumpkin recipes to drool over as well. Also, this Easy Pumpkin Loaf Cake is a worthy addition to any pumpkin recipe list.
Perfectly Simple Easy Pumpkin Loaf Cake
Yield 10 -12 slices
Easy Pumpkin Loaf Cake is an easy to follow recipe. With all the flavours of Fall, pumpkin and aromatic sweet spices in every bite.
- 175 grams plain / all purpose flour (1 + 3/8 cup)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of each ground nutmeg and ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 150 grams light brown sugar (3/4 cup lightly packed)
- 200 grams pumpkin puree (3/4 cup)
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 large egg
- 50 grams unsalted butter - melted & cooled (1/4 cup)
- Preheat your oven to 180C / 350F / Gas mark 4 and lightly grease or line a 2-pound loaf tin, then place it to one side.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, add in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices, salt and sugar. Gently mix them all together until well combined. Then place the bowl to one side.
- In a small bowl add in the pumpkin puree, milk, egg and melted butter and stir until everything is very well combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry and with a gentle hand combine the two. Careful not to over-mix the batter.
- Pour the batter into your loaf tin and place it in your hot oven for 45 minutes.
- Test that your cake is baked through, then take it out of the oven but allow it to sit in its tin for 10 minutes.
- Then remove the cake to a cooling rack and allow it to fully cool down.
- This loaf will freeze really well for 3 months. To defrost take it out of the freezer and place it into the fridge to defrost overnight. Or Slice it up and freeze the individual slices.
- Kept in an airtight tin this loaf will keep well for 5 days. Actually, the flavour improves on day 2!