Hands up who likes a little crunchy granola in the morning? Or even as a cheeky snack at any time of the day? I know I do, but the real downside to granola is, how much sugar is in it. Shop bought granola is packed full of all kinds of hidden sugar not like this Easy Homemade Honey Almond Granola. The only sweetener is a little bit of honey and some semi-dried apricots. So read on to find out how to make this super easy homemade honey almond granola.
I have kept all refined sugars out of this recipe. Usually, I add a little brown sugar to my homemade granolas but this time I kept it out. Which does stop this granola from being too sweet. But the 2 tablespoons of honey help to give this easy homemade honey almond granola just the right amount of sweetness. And you can always add a little more on top if you wish.
For crunch and to add some little heart-healthy natural fats I added in some flaked almonds. Almonds pair so well with honey and apricots, almost like natural bedfellows! To boost the almond flavour further I used almond extract, but in a pinch, if you don’t have any then feel free to use vanilla extract in its place. But I highly recommend using almond extract if you can.
I also added a sprinkling of sesame seeds to the mix. They add a gentle sweet nuttiness to the overall flavour of this easy homemade honey almond granola and a little crunch too.
To make it super crunchy and clumpy I added an egg white. This is made safe by baking in the oven, but if you have any concerns then please use ready pasteurised egg whites.
So stop with the shop bought granola and make your own at home. It’s super easy, it only takes a few ingredients and it’s far healthier than any shop bought granola you can buy for convenience. And you will really love this refined sugar free easy homemade almond honey granola.
Easy Homemade Honey Almond Granola
Yield 6 servings (approx 40 grams each)
Easy Homemade Honey Almond Granola is a simple recipe to follow with no refined sugars. Sweetened with honey and flavoured with almonds and apricots.
- 120 grams Jumbo Oats (1 and 1/4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 5 tablespoons flaked almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 5 semi-dried apricots - diced
- Preheat your oven to 150C / 300F / Gas mark 2 and line a large baking sheet with non-stick baking parchment or a large silicone mat.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl mix the oats, sesame seeds, flaked almonds and cinnamon all together.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg white until it is nice and foamy. Add the honey and almond extract and whisk them into the egg white.
- Add this to the oat mixture and mix well until all the oats are covered in the egg mixture.
- Stir in the diced apricots.
- Sprinkle the oat mixture all over the baking sheet, keeping it all clumpy and pop it into your warm oven for 25 to 30 minutes until nice and golden. Stirring once halfway through.
- Store this easy homemade honey almond granola in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Serving Size 1 serving is approx 40 grams
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 4.4 g
Saturated Fat 0.5 g
Sodium 7 mg
Total Carbohydrates 24.2 g
Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
Sugars 10.1 g
Protein 4.9 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.