At the moment in Scotland strawberries are everywhere. They are cheap and plentiful and perfect for treats and desserts. Making these Easy Gluten Free Fresh Strawberry Crumb Bars was a no-brainer! At the moment strawberries are so sweet and juicy they make perfect dessert bars.
Because of the natural sweetness of the strawberries this recipe has no refined sugar in it. I added a little honey to the base & topping to help bind the dry ingredients together. I also added a little honey to the fruit layer to give the bars an extra little floral sweet note. Honey and strawberries are perfect partners.
These little bars make perfect afternoon pick-me-up’s. Or served as part of a more indulgent dessert, covered with fresh cream or a lovely vanilla ice cream would really take these little bars up a notch.
Strawberries are so summery and these bars scream summer! But there is nothing stopping you from enjoying these easy gluten free fresh strawberry crumb bars all year round. Because in the winter months you can use frozen strawberries and enjoy the taste of summer while curled up in front of the fire.
Which sounds good to me. Its strange, when its Spring and Summer I dream of Autumn and Winter flavours but when its Autumn and Winter I dream of Spring and Summer flavours. I have been known to spend a small fortune on fresh imported strawberries in the height of Winter. Hallelujah I saw sense and now buy frozen fruit when it is out of season….. so much cheaper. Which basically means these bars can be enjoyed year round!
Everything in these bars is gluten free, but one thing you need to keep an eye on is the oats. Even though I am not gluten intolerant I almost always buy certified gluten free oats. Not all oats are equal!!! If gluten is an issue for you, you will be well versed in this. But if you are not and want to make these for a friend / family member who does have issues with gluten, then please check your oats and if in doubt pop to the store and buy certified gluten free oats. So everyone can enjoy these easy gluten free fresh strawberry crumb bars.
Easy Gluten Free Fresh Strawberry Crumb Bars
Base & Topping
- 90 grams gluten free old fashioned oats (1 cup)
- 25 grams coconut flour (1/4 cup)
- 50 grams almond flour (1/2 cup)
- 70 grams mixed chopped nuts (1/2 cup)
- 80 grams liquid honey (1/4 cup)
- 400 grams strawberries (2 cups - chopped)
- 40 grams liquid honey (1/8 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons cornflour & 2 tablespoons water combined
- Preheat your oven to 180C / 350F / Gas mark 4 and line an 8 inch square tin with baking parchment.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl add in the oats, coconut flour, almond flour and the mixed chopped nuts and mix them until they are well combined.
- Pour in the honey and stir until everything is coated with the honey.
- Take 85 grams (1/2 cup) of the mixture and place to one side.
- With the remaining mixture pour it into your lined pan and flatten it down until it fully covers the base of your pan. Press it down with the back of a spoon so it is nice and compacted.
- Pop it in your hot oven for 15 minutes.
- While the base is in the oven, chop up the strawberries and place them in a medium sized pan along with the honey, vanilla extract and water.
- Gently warm on a medium heat until the strawberries start to break down. This will take about 8-10 minutes.
- Don't forget to take your base out of the oven at the 15 minute mark, place it to one side if your strawberry mixture is not ready yet and leave the oven on.
- Mix the 2 tablespoons of cornflour (corn starch) with another 2 tablespoons of water and pour this into the pan with the strawberries.
- Within a minute or two the mixture should start to thicken. Take it off the heat and pour it over the base that you have placed to one side.
- Take the mixture you have placed to one side and crumble it all over the top of your strawberry mix and place it back in the oven for a further 15 minutes.
- You are wanting the crumble topping to be starting to turn a lovely golden colour.
- Once baked, take it out of the oven and allow it to fully cool down to room temperature before you cut this traybake up.
- I recommend placing it in the fridge for a few hours before cutting if you can.
- Keep this traybake covered in the fridge and it will last for 5 days.