So it’s been over a month, so I am good to go for another banana recipe….. right? Seriously I eat so many of these things but the odd few slip through the net and go all brown and far too sweet for me to eat and because I hate waste with a passion I always end up with banana bread, muffins, cake, pancakes galore in my house. This super Easy Cinnamon Banana Bread is a great way to use up those unwanted super sweet brown bananas.
I love it when a plan comes together, I basically threw everything in a bowl and hoped for the best. OMG! Then I rushed out to buy more bananas purposely let them go brown and baked this again. Again it was OMG!! Regular readers will know of my banana obsession but this really was amazing!
So what makes this one different to all the others I hear you ask? Well for starters I am continuing to experiment with spelt flour and its sweet nutty flavour really adds a nice twist to this banana bread. And of course the seasonal favourite cinnamon. I have two types of cinnamon in this banana bread to give it a real kick, a whopping 3 teaspoons of ground cinnamon and 150 grams (3/4 cup) of cinnamon chips.
I love cinnamon chips so much but I know they are difficult to come by in the UK, I have to buy mine online here or I sometimes order them in from the US from here. Both are a great place to get them if you fancy trying them out. But they are not cheap so by all means add an extra teaspoon of cinnamon and use dark chocolate chips instead. Or leave the chips out all together. Whatever works best for you, but if you can easily get hold of cinnamon chips then please do use them.
So I promise not to go on too much about how lovely a slice of this is for breakfast, but it is. And while yes, it does have sugar in it, I won’t deny that but on a healthy bonus point it is made completely with coconut oil and no butter. And with all that banana in it, its practically a health food (this is what I tell myself to get through the day!!!) while scoffing a second slice with my second cup of coffee in the morning.
So please forgive my indulgence of another banana recipe, but this one is so good. If you only try one recipe from my blog try this one. Because you won’t regret it I promise!
Easy Cinnamon Banana Bread
- 110 grams coconut oil - solid form (1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon)
- 215 grams light brown sugar (1 cup lightly packed)
- 2 large eggs
- 3 large ripe bananas - mashed
- 85 millilitres buttermilk (1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 145 grams plain / all purpose flour (1 cup + 3 tablespoons)
- 140 grams wholemeal spelt flour (1 and 1/4 cups)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 150 grams cinnamon chips (3/4 cup)
- Preheat your oven to 180C / 350F / Gas mark 4 and prep a 2 pound loaf tin (20x12.5cm / 8x5inch) by either using a paper liner or lightly greasing it. Or spraying it with a bakers release spray.
- Beat the coconut oil and sugar together until they are well combined.
- Add in the eggs, mashed banana, buttermilk and vanilla extract. Mix until everything is well mixed together.
- Sieve in the flours, baking soda, salt and ground cinnamon.
- With a gentle hand fold the dry ingredients into the wet ones.
- Then finally fold in your cinnamon chips.
- Pour the batter into your loaf tin and pop it into the middle of your hot oven.
- I have a slow oven so mine baked for 1 hour, but I checked it every 5 minutes at the 45 minute mark.
- Electric ovens are a lot faster than gas ones. So please do check it at the 45 minute mark. Insert a skewer into the centre of the loaf and if it comes out clean it is baked if not give it another 5 minutes.
- Once it is baked all the way through, leave it in the tin for 5 minutes before gently tipping it out onto a wire rack to fully cool down.
- This loaf will freeze and keep for 3 months. Or kept in an airtight tin at room temperature this bread will last for 7 days.