This week it has been UK Coffee Week which is a great charity and well worth checking out and to help celebrate this I have been devouring these amazing Coffee Muffins with Walnut Streusel Topping. Soft and dense with a lovely hint of coffee in every bite, what more do you want in a muffin?
I am a real coffee addict and I love it when I also get a chance to eat my morning coffee too, so I can get a double Java hit. To make these coffee muffins a little more like a traditional coffee cake I added a lovely buttery walnut streusel topping. After all who doesn’t love a streusel topping? And what is coffee cake without walnuts?
Jump to Recipe:
And to finish them off I added a little coffee flavoured icing drizzle. Perfect indulgent breakfast treat.
Coffee Muffins with Walnut Streusel Topping People!
They really are worth shouting about. So let’s talk a little more about these coffee muffins with walnut streusel topping. To help create the dense rich crumb these muffins have I used a combination of melted butter, sour cream and milk. The butter which I don’t normally use in muffins, was added to the batter melted for easier incorporation. It helps to give them a rich buttery flavour and the sour cream helps to give them a dense moist crumb. The milk helps to keep the richness in this muffin batter.
To to acheive the coffee flavour I just use instant coffee dissolved in a very small amount of boiling water, I find instant coffee gives you the biggest flavour bang. I mostly drink fresh coffee but while experimenting I found you needed to add so much to get a distinct coffee flavour the batter became to thin to bake properly. Where as instant coffee allows you to pile it in with the smallest amount of water to liquify it. Perfect!
Walnut Streusel Topping
Now lets get on to one of the best things about these muffins, the walnut streusel topping. Crumbly, buttery and crunchy with walnut pieces, in every bite. Like you I love a streusel topping and the self restraint it takes not to overload these muffins is amazing. It’s so tempting to make these more streusel then muffin, but of course they would never rise if you did that, so this recipe will give you the perfect amount to evenly distribute between your 12 muffins. Seriously how good does that topping look?
To finish off these muffins I drizzled them with a super simple coffee icing. Totally optional but totally worth it, it’s just a combination of icing sugar and a little fresh coffee. Easy and simple to make.
A few things to note about these and pretty much most of my muffins. The oven starts off at 425F / 200C / Gas mark 7. I find the initial burst of high heat gives them a lovely high rise, creating that muffin dome that we all love. After 5 to 7 minutes I reduce the heat to 375F / 190C / Gas mark 5 so that I can bake the muffins through without them burning.
The sour cream in this recipe is really important, its what gives these Coffee Muffins with Walnut Streusel Topping their dense moist crumb. Buttermilk is my usual go to for muffins as it is a great tenderiser but sour cream is the magic ingredient in these muffins that makes them so perfect.
Coffee Muffins with Walnut Streusel Topping
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 80 grams light brown sugar (1/2 cup)
- 90 grams plain all purpose flour (3/4 cup)
- 3 teaspoons instant coffee
- 50 grams chopped walnuts (1/2 cup)
- 250 grams plain all purpose flour (2 cups - spoon & level)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 5 tablespoons instant coffee
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 100 grams unsalted butter - melted (1/2 cup)
- 185 grams light brown sugar (1 cup lightly packed)
- 150 milliliters sour cream (1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 60 millilitres milk (1/4 cup)
- 2 large eggs
- 8 tablespoons icing sugar
- 3 teaspoons hot strong fresh coffee
- Preheat your oven to 425F / 200C / Gas mark 7 and prep a 12 hole muffin pan by either lightly greasing it or using liners, then place it to one side.
To make the streusel.
- In a small bowl combine the melted butter, light brown sugar, flour, instant coffee and chopped walnuts and gently mix everything together until you have a crumbly mixture.
- Place the toping to one side.
To make the muffins.
- In a medium sized bowl mix the flour, salt and baking powder together until well combined.
- In a heat safe large jug or medium sized bowl add in the instant coffee and boiling water and stir until the coffee is fully dissolved.
- Add in the melted butter, light brown sugar, sour cream, vanilla extract, milk and eggs and whisk everything together until everything is well combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry and with a gentle hand mix everything together.
- It doesn't matter if your batter is still a little lumpy, because the last thing you want to do is over mix muffin batter as this will make your muffins hard and dry.
- Spoon the batter into you muffin pan, then sprinkle over the streusel topping until the tops of your muffins are fully covered.
- Pop them into your hot oven.
- After 5 minutes turn the oven down to 375F / 190C / Gas mark 5 and bake for a further 15 to 20 minutes.
- Check on your muffins after 15 minutes at the lower temperature to see if they are done, if a pick doesn't come out clean then give them a further few minutes.
- If you wish to add the icing drizzle wait until your muffins have fully cooled down, then mix the icing sugar and coffee together in a small bowl then using a teaspoon drizzle the icing over the top of the muffins.
Anything with a streusel topping always gets my vote! Love the walnuts and coffee in here too!
I agree Streusel topping is so good on anything 🙂
Reminds me of when I was younger and would WOLF DOWN coffee cake on the regular! SOOOOO good!
Hi GiGi, thank you. Cakes that remind anyone of when they were kids are always the best 😀
Emma, these look incredible! From the coffee flavor to the walnut streusel to that sweet drizzle—what’s not to love???
Thank you Liz 😀
Coffee is my weakness and this muffin sounds amazingly delicious!
Hi Kushi, thank you 😀 Coffee is my weakness too!
These muffins would be gone within minutes if I put them out. In love with that streusel topping too! Pinning – thank you!
Hi Pamela, thank you 😀
These look incredible. Love, love, LOVE a streusel topping. Too bad I’m one of the freaks that doesn’t like coffee though- ha! I wish I did, I need that extra morning perk to start my day!
Hi Lisa, coffee is not for everyone. I just couldn’t imagine getting on in the morning without my cup of strong black coffee to give me a kick start! You could always leave the coffee out of the recipe to have a vanilla streusel muffin instead 🙂
Can’t wait to make these! I’m so excited to make them to share with friends. Any suggestions on how to store them so that the crumb topping won’t get soggy?
Hi Alma, the best way is to keep them in an airtight tin at room temperature. They should keep well for up to 5 days but like most muffins they are best consumed within a day or two of baking.
Wow! Just awesome. I like this coffee recipe. These muffins sound amazingly delicious to me.
Hi Willie, thank you 🙂
I’m always on the look out for new coffee recipes as I am a massive coffee lover and these look incredible! From the dense rich crumb to the moist muffin and the coffee flavour running throughout.. I’m sold! I also find instant coffee to be the best choice when baking, as you say you only need a little bit of water to dissolve the instant coffee meaning that you can get a really deep, rich coffee flavour without adding too much wetness to the batter (which can make the bake very tough and make icing separate). If using fresh brewed coffee you’ll always have to adjust the recipe for water content and the flavour will end up much weaker. If, however, you really didn’t want to use instant coffee the other alternative could be espresso as the flavour is much more concentrated, but instant coffee really does work perfectly and is a whole lot easier!
Hi Anna, I totally agree. I often use espresso in chocolate recipes to give them a certain richness but I still find the flavour too weak for a coffee cake, but I am still experimenting all the time. Thanks for stopping by 😀
I have a serious weakness for anything streusel! These muffins look scrumptious and totally irresistible!
Hi Angie, I too love a streusel topping 😀
haha oh gosh me too! I love my coffee!! These muffins sound completely delicious!!
Thank you Ashley 😀