Last year I shared my plain Cranberry Relish recipe with you, but this year I have totally revamped it and added even more festive cheer to it. Whether it’s for yourself or as a foodie gift for a neighbour this Christmas Spiced Cranberry Relish is going to do the trick for you.
I first must apologise for the really bad photos, it’s dark in Scotland by 2.30pm and I was fighting bad lighting and time. But persevere we Food bloggers must 😥
Relishing in it!
Let’s talk about this Christmas Spiced Cranberry Relish for a bit, shall we? It’s a small batch I’ve made here, totalling 390 grams or 1 and 2/3 cup which makes it perfect for last-minute gift giving. It’s all made in one small pan so very little clean up as well. Double Bonus!
Time for ingredients run down, we start here with a base of onions softened in a little unsalted butter over low heat to make them soft and sweet. We then add our fresh cranberries, orange zest & juice along with a small grated green apple. Granny Smiths are perfect here but any firm tart apple will work and a few sultanas to round it out.
To all this we add a little dark brown sugar, some red wine vinegar and a touch of red wine, white wine works in a pinch. Then we add in some lovely festive spices, allspice, star anise, cinnamon and sweet smoked paprika.
We heat it all together in a pan until it is jam-like and sticky about 20 mins should do it. You then decant it into sterilised warm jars. Unopened your relish will last a couple of months. Once open keep it in the fridge and finish it up in 2 weeks.
This relish is great with cheese, served as a condiment with hot food and I have been told it goes great with the turkey that’s hot or cold! Though I can’t testify to that, it is lovely with cheese, vegan or regular.
Christmas Spiced Cranberry Relish
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium red onion - chopped finely
- Zest & juice one medium orange
- 150 grams fresh cranberries (1 and 1/2 cups)
- 1 medium green apple - grated
- 3 tablespoons sultanas
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons red or white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 whole star anise
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- Pinch sea salt
- Gently melt your butter over a low heat in a medium sized saucepan and while that is happening finely chop you onion up and add it to the melted butter. Keep it on a low heat stirring occasionally for at least 5 minutes until your onions are soft and translucent.
- Add in the orange zest and juice along with the fresh cranberries, grated apple and sultanas.
- Spoon in the sugar, red wine vinegar and red/white wine and give everything a good stir.
- Quickly stir in the spices along with the salt.
- Gently increase the heat to bring it all to a gentle boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and stir continually until you have a sticky jam like substance in the pan. It will take about 15-20 minutes to reach this stage.
- Decant the relish into a steralised jar and seal. Use within 2 months, once opened keep in the fridge and eat within 2 weeks.